• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most Overrated Muzzleloading Accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have been taking a look at the items that we need and the items that most of us overlook or use so naturally that we don't think about them.

What are the items that we have used that are way overrated?

Some of the top items are the percussion systems that use 209 shotgun caps. Too many small, easy to loose, slow to use another cap and really no batter than magnum caps.

The use of Bore Butter with the false expectation of seasoning the bore.

Cleaning procedures that don't use water as the primary solvent to remove fouling.

That one needs an expensive, custom rifle to shoot accurately. Really, it proper load development, lock tuning and practice to get rifles in any price level to shoot accurately.

My vote is for store bought black powder solvents. Totally unnecessary. And a waste of money.

Next vote might be for the capper. But I'm on the fence about it.. Looks great hanging from your bag, works excellent for putting ugly scratches on beautiful stocks. But far from being useless. Especially for some people...

I wear a Damascus sheath knife on my bag. That's what I cut my patches and anything else with. Takes too long to get my old timer out of my pocket. And I do most of my shooting in the dead of winter, so wearing it on my belt under my coat is out. I naturally catch myself cutting objects other than cloth sparingly to keep it sharp longer. So I guess you could say it is somewhat dedicated to patches.
So I might have to disagree with you.

I will also say I shoot a heck of a lot better without a sling dangling and swinging around off my rifle. Yet slings are definitely a benefit on an all day still-hunt in the snow, or still hunting in general. A cold rifle will chill your hand right through your glove, and there's not many places to lean or lay your rifle while still hunting when you need to take your gloves off and use both hands.

I will also say I shoot a heck of a lot better without a sling dangling and swinging around off my rifle. Yet slings are definitely a benefit on an all day still-hunt in the snow, or still hunting in general. A cold rifle will chill your hand right through your glove, and there's not many places to lean or lay your rifle while still hunting when you need to take your gloves off and use both hands.

Any rifle - BP, bolt action, or EBR - can be shot more accurately with a sling IF the sling is properly set up on the rifle and the shooter knows how to use it properly.

Sling should definitely not be hanging around and swinging around under the gun when you are shooting.

Sling, all my hunting rifle wear one. It is used for carrying.

Several years ago I tripped over a root in the dark. In an effort to protect the stock from breaking as I fell, I landed on my side while holding onto the rifle. I did not break the stock, but managed to break 2 ribs. Now, I use a sling so I have both hands free in case of a fall.

This is way over rated .

1630328375162.png

It requires two people to use.
All you need is a good piece of string, which weighs next to nothing and takes up virtually no room in your bag.

• Short starters
  • Patch knives
  • Knapping hammers
  • Those keyring contraptions with all the fiddly little gadgets you might need, but probably don't
  • Pan brushes
  • Priming horns
  • Store bought patch lubes generally, and Bore Butter in particular (Exception to this are the animal fat based patch lubes for sale.)
  • Store bought solvents

Vent picks. Ive got 3 or 4 of them. Cant remember the last time I've used one.
One of those things I guess, Its better to have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it.

The Kadoodle. I saw one used in our club and it was not used with any frequency. It just did not justify its purpose.

Latest posts

Back