• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

"Most Cool" ML'er to bring in fresh faces

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
At our family reunion this summer, we had a number of young people that wanted to do shooting as an activity. As the "cruise director", it was my job to stock the "buffet table" with things they might want to shoot. On the menu we had .22 revolvers, slide action .22 rifles, shotguns, semi-auto pistols, (registered) NFA weapons, flint rifles, cap lock revolvers, black guns, ML'ing artillery, flint pistols. Pretty much anything that is anything in the firearms world. Of course, the NFA stuff and artillery seemed to hold the most fascination, (hey, they weren't buying the ammo so who cares, right?) but once the novelty wore off, (it's just not the sort of thing that "most people" would have or acquire) the guns they seemed most intrigued by were the single shot muzzle loading flint pistols. Of course, they couldn't hit anything with them, but they kept wanting to try.

I'm thinking that those might be the ticket to draw in youth to the sport. The "cool factor" of flint "dueling" pistols seems to be pretty high.

What have been your experiences as being the best "hook" to attract newbies to ML'ers?

Last edited:
I'd use anything somewhat traditional with a light, accurate load and a reactive target. Put the target at a safe enough distance but close enough so a rookie can hit it fairly regular. Load for the rookie, set the hook deep.

Nothing like the gong for the youngsters.

Reactive targets are much more fun than punching holes in paper, they are also less discriminating. A target like a gong also gives positive reinforcement, because a hit is a hit. A paper target that looks like it was shot with a shotgun is like a bad report card. Often something to be ashamed of. But ring a gong and see a smile. :thumb:

We have women shoot at clay birds that are hung on a cardboard backer at 30 yards with percussion rifles. Broken birds will light up the smiles.

Clay birds, eggs, saltine crackers held up with a clothespin, charcoal briquettes hanging from a string, etc.. all make fun targets.

Looking forward to the day I take my fiance shooting. She's an excellent shot with an air gun, very tight groups both handgun and rifle. Hopefully she likes hunting as much as she thinks she will.

Old bowling pins make a nice target too. You can stand them up or hang them.

We have women shoot at clay birds that are hung on a cardboard backer at 30 yards with percussion rifles. Broken birds will light up the smiles.

When we have guests at our North South Skirmish competitions, we have some folks detailed to give them trigger time on a musket or carbine. Targets are same as we shoot at but at 25yds. All our targets are frangible meaning they break when hit. A 4in tile hit by a 58cal will virtually explode to the amusement of all watching.

Clay birds, eggs, saltine crackers held up with a clothespin, charcoal briquettes hanging from a string, etc.. all make fun targets.

One thing we did with the Scouts was the cracker challenge, Ritz crackers hanging on a wire at 25yds. It presents the same aspect ratio as an 8in black at 100yds. Hit it and it vaporizes leaving crumbs on the ground for the critters to have a feast. Easy on the environment and tons of fun.

A good friend and I were both members of N-SSA. We both retired from the group, for various reasons. He was with the Provost marshals for many years. We instruct the ladies at our home club when our R/P club hosts an NRA Women on Target course. That's where I picked up my screen name.

When we have guests at our North South Skirmish competitions, we have some folks detailed to give them trigger time on a musket or carbine. Targets are same as we shoot at but at 25yds. All our targets are frangible meaning they break when hit. A 4in tile hit by a 58cal will virtually explode to the amusement of all watching.

One thing we did with the Scouts was the cracker challenge, Ritz crackers hanging on a wire at 25yds. It presents the same aspect ratio as an 8in black at 100yds. Hit it and it vaporizes leaving crumbs on the ground for the critters to have a feast. Easy on the environment and tons of fun.

I loved shooting charcoal briquettes on a string. Great squirrel head practice. When hit they just vaporize into a black cloud of dust.

Back