• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most Authentic Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've searched though many of the past posts about the Bess, but cannot find any mention of which manufacturer offers the most authentic reproduction.

I'm most interested in the Long Land 1742 or 1756.

What say you?

The Rifle Shoppe maybe? I know where one is for sale built from their parts if your interested.

Rifle Shoppe is probally one of the most accurate makers of parts.. but expect to wait a LONG while for parts and pay for it. A friend waited 2 years for Furgisson parts. :results:

The two most authentic out there, and you need deep pockets, are by G.L.Jones and Narragansett Armes. I would rate Jones only better by a gnats hair mostly by hand inletting, etc. Now for the good news:

Jones guns are $1,400 plus $250 extra for English walnut. He also has an 85% kit for $800 plus $250 for English walnut.

Narragansett Armes Long Land Pattern is $1,450 in walnut and has an optional bayonet for $110 and a real buff sling for $40.

Save up your lunch money, those guns are a little pricey but they are both top makers. :thumbsup:

Are we talking about the most authentic repro, or the most authentic repro that the average guy can afford? If we're talking about the former, I'd probably agree with Wes/Tex. If were talking about repros that people other than Bill Gates can afford, I'd vote for the Long Land Pattern from MVTC. Take a look for yourself at http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/. :thumbsup:

FINISHED?- I don't think there is one, then.
: If close to original is indeed what you want, and they were pretty rough after 1730 or so, then the ones made in India are probably the closest. This was the remark made when my Bro first saw mine- "rough, but accurately made and probably not nearly as rough as some". I would like to see the First Model form Mil/Her, but their pictures show it to be even rougher than the Sea Service. IT was about as rough as I'd want, but was OK & would only depend on the quality of IT'S breech threads. Taylor's Bess was made from parts from "The Rifle Shoppe".
Brown Bess%201.jpg

On one visit I made to Kit Ravenshear's home he had a fellow who would be in his 40's about now apprentacing under him. Kit would have turned you out anything the Tower ever had, Bakers and Furgesons included. The price would be stiff and the wait long, but fair for the work involved.

I wonder where that fellow ended up and if he is carrying on the military smoothbore/rifle work? I would contact Getz and see if they can put you in touch with a large consumer of their smoothbore flint musket barrels. Someone must be producing quality Besses of the early patterns. I can't imagine they burried Kits' patterns and gauges with him.

So far nobody has mentioned Pedersoli. Are they not authentic enough to be considered?

They sure do look like a bess to me...

Mine is a Navy Arms, if I had to buy another bess, it would be a Pedersoli, they seem to be made very well...

I agree with Musketman..I like my Pedersoli Bess. I softened the molding around the tang and had to fortify the mortice for the lock to keep it from tilting in on tightening. But I only paid $345. for it .....back then. One of two kits I ever bought.....hope this helps....Wulf :thumbsup:

My mistake- I thought we were talking longland pattern, wooden rod, 46" barrel, etc. Wasn't the '56 the Shortland, 42"?

I believe the Long Land was equipped with a steel ramrod from the early 1740's on up. The 2nd Model or Short Land w/ the 42" barrel was first issued in the mid/late 1760's. The reason I didn't mention Pedersoli w/ regard to Claude's original post, is that Pedersoli only makes the 2nd model (as far as I know), and Claude was asking about the 1742/1756, which would still be of the Long Land pattern. :imo: :m2c: :thumbsup:

The reason I didn't mention Pedersoli w/ regard to Claude's original post, is that Pedersoli only makes the 2nd model (as far as I know), and Claude was asking about the 1742/1756...

Actually, the Second Pattern (Militia Pattern) 1756 would be just fine. As you can see, I don't even know enough about the Bess to know what to ask. ::

I'm interested in whatever a civilian "could" have had, around 1756-57. I see that the Pedersoli that Dixie sells is a copy of the 1762 model? That may have to do.

Claude, I did some more research ( shoulda' done it before I answered!), and found that the steel ramrod was not officially issued until the '56 model. Also, according to some books I have (as well as a few web-sites, though I prefer books) the Second Model or Short Land pattern was not officially issued 'til 1769! As far as the Pedersoli goes, although it says 1762 on the lock, it is definitely a Second Model repro. Since you are looking for a Bess which "could" have been owned by a civy in 1756, I would stay away from the Pedersoli, not due to their quality, which is excellent, but because the 2nd Mod. just wouldn't be right for the period. More confused or less? Hope I've helped a little..... :shocking: :thumbsup:

FINISHED?- I don't think there is one, then.
: If close to original is indeed what you want, and they were pretty rough after 1730 or so, then the ones made in India are probably the closest. This was the remark made when my Bro first saw mine- "rough, but accurately made and probably not nearly as rough as some".

Being "rough" as far as the fit and finish of the metal and wood does not concern me on a military musket. I agree with you that alot of the arms were produced hurriedly. The details that matter to me for example are the barrel thickness being excessive or the wrist and forearm being a bit clunky taking away from the graceful feel of an 18th century weapon. But I must say that Im starting to hear one of those Pedersoli French beauties calling to me. :p

BO0293.jpg
Dixie (Pioneer Press)

Claude,

Treat yourself to the softcover Red Coat and Brown Bess available from Dixie Gun Work's Pionee Press ($8.95)

It's a good synopsis of the variations of the Brown Bess. Well worth the price if you are interested in a Bess (and EVERYONE should have a Bess at least once in their lives).

They didn't call it the "Queen of the Battlefield" for nuttin.

Latest posts

Back