Mortimer shotgun???

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

TreeMan

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Found this ol girl in a pawnshop a while back for $50. Someone made it a wall hanger by giving it a good coat of black primer paint. For $50 I brought it home with an ambition to bring it back to life. Seems something is going on with the barrels because inside the bores is what appears to be a large weld of some sort. Maybe someone bashed a bear over the head with it something separating the barrels. Who knows. It’s all a bit bent and outta whack. One lock is missing the hammer but the other one works fine. I think I’ll remove the paint and retire it again to a wall. Here are some pics for your entertainment or comments.

Attachments

Robby

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Seems to me a real Mortimer would be worth a full restoration. I'll give you fifty plus shipping.
Robby

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
That's a novel looking barrel - stamped 'London Fine Twist' but with nary a trace of a twist to be seen..................this is an example of an American-made barrel set using 'London Fine twist' style patterning - clearly visible. Also a method used by L C Smith.

1612970445978.png

Last edited:

TreeMan

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
That's a novel looking barrel - stamped 'London Fine Twist' but with nary a trace of a twist to be seen..................this is an example of an American-made barrel set using 'London Fine twist' style patterning - clearly visible. Also a method used by L C Smith.

View attachment 63334
I’ll have to scrape some more of the krylon off to see what it looks like underneath.

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I could be mistaken here, but in my experience, people don't go spraying a Mortimer of any kind with Krylon. It's like putting a black chrome vinyl wrap on an L C Smith.

Robby

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
I think it is a cheap knock off with a spurious Mortimer name. There are many of those.

dave
You may be right Dave. I would err on the side of caution and at least try to verify the true maker.
Robby

Latest posts