• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Morse carbine from Rifle Shoppe kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 50 caliber Morse carbine built from the Rifle Shoppe kit. It was built originally in South Carolina in 1864 I think they were about 1000 originally made. They are a couple of books out about them now. This one is a replica of the second model. It includes five brass cases and loading tools. It uses musket caps and a rubber washer on the back of the case. I have test fired it with a 370 grain .515 bullet. Jesse Melot The owner of the Rifle Shoppe.Sold the first one he built for $4800. Track of the wolf makes the cases at nine dollars each. Anyway I’m asking $4000 shipping included for this one with the loading tools and five cases. Jesse also got it NSSA approved.Not something for everyone but something you don’t see every day. Any questions just ask.

Attachments

• 3943BFA3-F989-447E-880E-AD410CB93E1C.jpeg
    3943BFA3-F989-447E-880E-AD410CB93E1C.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 16CCF4BC-7169-4E76-BE54-D64685C4FBAD.jpeg
    16CCF4BC-7169-4E76-BE54-D64685C4FBAD.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 261
  • AFDB0B8D-7E44-488F-B7E3-92D50A549BAC.jpeg
    AFDB0B8D-7E44-488F-B7E3-92D50A549BAC.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Yes I did ask the moderator Angie and they said it was OK as long as it was originally made before 1865.

OK so it's more than that...
A) Made before 1865
B) Was accepted for use during ACW or earlier, or accepted by other government, someplace, (mass produced...a prototype doesn't get one there)
C) Uses an external ignition like a cap or a flint ....

And yes this one does.... ;)

OH as an aside...., the old saying "every rule has its exception"... well this looks like it might be called an inline, and thus would be the only inline that would qualify as an exception to the inline prohibition...

LD

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification. The original Morse case was a brass tube with a flange that had a heavy v shaped wire attached to the inside of a case in such a way as the musket cap fit on the sharp end of the V. Then a gutta percha washer fit over the flange of the musket to seal the back of the case. The firing pin is flat on the end almost a half inch in diameter to support the cap and the washer When fired.

... well this looks like it might be called an inline, and thus would be the only inline that would qualify as an exception to the inline prohibition ...

... and you would be wrong. The 52-cal breech-loading 'inline' rifle by John M. Paul of Portland, Maine, of patent date 1811, was issued to US troops in a flintlock version in 1819.

Very interesting that’s one that I was not aware of. In my digest of small arms patents it only goes back to 1836 do you Perhaps have a patent number. If not I’ll keep looking.

... and you would be wrong. The 52-cal breech-loading 'inline' rifle by John M. Paul of Portland, Maine, of patent date 1811, was issued to US troops in a flintlock version in 1819.
UM..., technically..., an "inline" uses a cap or primer, or other ignition source that is modern ..., so an "inline flinter" is really an oxymoron, unless some company makes one to circumvent "flintlock only" regulations. I've seen what some have called an "inline" flintlock, perhaps that was the Paul Patent mechanism that I saw.., but that's really not an "inline" as it uses a flint.

LD

This is awesome, I wish I could afford it, but thank you for bringing it to my attention and knowing it is allowed here

:ThankYou:

Latest posts

Back