• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Morning bird hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m working with a tiny Epaguel Breton that just turned 6 months. This is her second time out. We were at a club. The birds are not “wild”, however unlike a “preserve” where the birds are put out upon arrival this private club released quantities of birds in different sections throughout the week. You can’t hunt the section that received today’s release. So overall, the experience is nice since you don’t know what, where or how many birds you might find. Annual fee and then pay per bird killed. Anyway, I loaded the 20g Pedersoli double with an ounce scoop of Goex card wad, half cushion wad, ounce of shot and over-card. I’ve tried plain lead #8 and copper coated # 7.5 hardened shot. Among the few birds the 7.5s noticeably knocked them down quicker. Some #8 shot birds were flipping around when they came down or just dropped a leg and glided down. I think the 7.5s are penetrating a little better. The right barrel patterns about “ skeet” and the left like “ modified”. I only used the Mod barrel twice, after all I’m dog training not really working to kill every bird. The birds hit with that barrel may have been a few yards further out by the time the second shot was taken, but the overall effect was just the same as the more open barrel. The little dog is a retrieving maniac. She doesn’t chase the bird in flight, she watched for it to land or fall. That should make training easy. She brings the bird to hand and holds it. I only shoot if she holds a point until I pass her and flush the bird. As the day went on her points were more rigid and she held until I got the bird airborne and shot. Great progress with this runt. Between the little dog and the little muzzleloader we are a big hit with the staff. I go on Mon and/ or Tuesday and I’ve yet to see anyone else there.
F8E470D0-4445-4C67-866C-017B73FC08D8.jpeg

Congrats on a good hunt and your dog making progress. She’s a good looking pup. It’s amazing how popular you’ll be with a friendly dog in tow. I’ve noticed a lot more folks want to talk to me when I’m out with my lab. :D

I like most dogs better than I like most people. Not ashamed of that at all.
I’m with you. I say that dogs are what people should strive to be like. Not meaning to high jack the OP, so I’m going to end by saying I like that shotgun too.

Man, i have not been a shotgunner since i was a teenager and started getting into muzzleloaders and self bows...kind of lost interest in bird hunting as i picked up traditional archery and bowhunting... but guys like you and britsmoothy are getting me motivated! Beautiful. I am seriously beginning to consider getting a black powder bird gun...

Last edited:
Id love to have a dog....but between archery, work, cleaning black powder guns, hunting, and restoring antiques...there's just no way...maybe if i ever manage to retire...

I’m working with a tiny Epaguel Breton that just turned 6 months. This is her second time out. We were at a club. The birds are not “wild”, however unlike a “preserve” where the birds are put out upon arrival this private club released quantities of birds in different sections throughout the week. You can’t hunt the section that received today’s release. So overall, the experience is nice since you don’t know what, where or how many birds you might find. Annual fee and then pay per bird killed. Anyway, I loaded the 20g Pedersoli double with an ounce scoop of Goex card wad, half cushion wad, ounce of shot and over-card. I’ve tried plain lead #8 and copper coated # 7.5 hardened shot. Among the few birds the 7.5s noticeably knocked them down quicker. Some #8 shot birds were flipping around when they came down or just dropped a leg and glided down. I think the 7.5s are penetrating a little better. The right barrel patterns about “ skeet” and the left like “ modified”. I only used the Mod barrel twice, after all I’m dog training not really working to kill every bird. The birds hit with that barrel may have been a few yards further out by the time the second shot was taken, but the overall effect was just the same as the more open barrel. The little dog is a retrieving maniac. She doesn’t chase the bird in flight, she watched for it to land or fall. That should make training easy. She brings the bird to hand and holds it. I only shoot if she holds a point until I pass her and flush the bird. As the day went on her points were more rigid and she held until I got the bird airborne and shot. Great progress with this runt. Between the little dog and the little muzzleloader we are a big hit with the staff. I go on Mon and/ or Tuesday and I’ve yet to see anyone else there.View attachment 97695
nice 20 gauge. do you like it better than a 12 bore?

I have a composed pair of these, the other in 12b. The 12 is heavier overall and a little more front heavy. I like carrying the 20b and it has all the oomph I seem to need for bird hunts, however I haven't even shot the 12 yet. I plan to use the 12 for a specific duck hunt and a sandhill crane hunt. I might use it on wild pheasants later in the year. The I might be able to decide if I like the 20 better than the 12.

Back