• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

More road trip

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Owl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought I'd just start a new thread. I've driven west to east through the area but never looked around. Here is a link to the early fur trade at Fort Wayne, IN
https://ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Fur_Trade
I'll be in IN, OH, MI. I want to see historic forts, fur trade posts, etc. Right now I'm not having much luck, maybe there aren't very many. In any event any one have any suggestions? Thanks.

If you are coming up I75 through Ohio, you will be passing numerous sites. Battle of Fallen Timbers, Fort Meigs, then the Raisen River site just over the Michigan border. Lots of history just not much physical evidence today. Don't pass up Simon Kenton's grave in Urbana.

I lived in Arcanum, some interesting sites in that area, plaques show where massacres (Indian victories) took place and give a description of the event. Greenville has a museum, not much but something. Then there's the fort north of Greenville where another massacre took place. Unfortunately my memory isn't serving me very well to recall the name. It was a nice bike ride from Arcanum to the 2 block houses that were restored and the adjacent park where the battle took place. Anthony Wayne was very busy in the construction business. Lots of forts, lots of history, too bad at least one isn't fully rebuilt, like they did with Noah's arc.

Ohio Military Forts.

Last edited:
I see in your other thread that you plan on going to the U.P. of Michigan. Most of what you will find there will be focused more on Lumber and Mining as opposed to the Fur Trade Era. If that type of history interests you as well, you might want to consider visiting Fayette - site of a charcoal-fired Pig Iron furnace that was in operation in the mid to late 1800s. The Keweenaw is a beautiful area to explore if interested in Copper Mining but If you make your way to Copper Harbor (Fort Wilkins) you will find that most of the visitors will be from Wisconsin and Minnesota - Most Michiganders consider it too far to drive (which is actually kind of nice - one of the few State Parks one can find an open campsite at on Major Holiday weekends and not need a reservation). If interested in the Lumbering history, not far out from Copper Harbor is one of two existing stands of virgin white pine left in the State, the other (and more accessible) being in the Lower at Hartwick Pines State Park.

Back