• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More on goex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Pyrodex pellets have any real BP in them, it's news to me. They require, REQUIRE 209 shotgun primers to work, and they do work.

I dont think Goex(or any real BP brand) to be "competition" for the substitutes. Just like my sidelocks have never had Pyrodex or 777 poured down their barrels, my inline has never had real BP. While I rarely use my inline(hasn't been shot in 2 years) it was designed to use the substitutes, and I feel they are better in inlines. I use three 50gr pyrodex pellets. I dont think any inline hunters (which is about all they're used for) CARE to change.

Some pictures from DuPonts original location on the banks of the Brandywine

Dan , thank you for the post, never been there , would'nt mind going . You did bring back memories of the time
I spent in Quantico ,Va while in Ammo School ,. studying propellants and their compositions. Again thank you for
making me feel younger , if only or a few minutes .
Gunny

I hope things happen for the best for all concerned. With this administration nothing good happens. I hope it changes. We all have to vote and stick together. They should have stayed in Pa.

Sometimes I go to the local range and see young guys shooting every kind of AR clone under the sun. Then some old lion shows up, ragged mane, a little slower, a little more deliberate in the way he moves. He carries a well worn buck skin rifle bag, missing rows of tassels from years of protecting what's inside from damage. He flips open the end of the bag and withdraws the heavy octagonal barreled fire arm with the deep richly figured furniture accented by buttery smooth antique brass fixtures like decorations on a holiday tree. He pulls the color case hardened Hammer to half cock, flips the frizzen forward exposing the pan and touch hole, burnt black and grey from countless sparks like signals from the brain commanding it's heart to beat. A small puff of air into the pan and touch hole, more like a signal from one old lion to another, it's time!
He clears the weapon with gnarled hands sliding the ramrod home till it bounces just a touch off the face of the breech plug. His possibles bag hangs on his right side with his powder horn next to it. He pops the top off his horn and pours black powder into a hollowed out elk antler to the brim then pours it down the barrel tapping the but on the ground just once to settle the powder on the bottom. Next he grabs the small walnut block hanging around his neck with nine patched, lubed, lead balls in a neat three by three order and places a ball just over the muzzle. A practiced push with his thumb and the first patched ball is delivered to the muzzle. He lets the wood ball block fall to his chest at the end of the leather lanyard while simultaneously ramming the ball home to sit atop the powder load. Things move slower now. He grabs for a small brass tube on another lanyard and delivers a few grains of very fine powder to the pan. He flips the frizzen closed and gives the gun slight tap to insure the powder reaches the touch hole. He can hear his own heart beat between breaths as he raises the nearly 200 year old gun to his shoulder. He pulls the hammer to the fully cocked position and aquires his target and applies steady pressure to the trigger and like a surprise, for a second,
....just a second
........the old lions roar again!
Poetry.

Some pictures from DuPonts original location on the banks of the Brandywine

I actually helped write DuPont's bicentennial history in 2001-2002 and learned all about its black powder operations. Very sophisticated for that time in the 19th century. Those stone mixing buildings at Eleutherian Mills were built in such a way that should an explosion occur, then the direction of the blast would be directed away from the family's home, employee housing, and administrative buildings. When a vat did explode and some unfortunate employee was killed, they called it "going across the river," since the concussive force invariably flung him all the way over to the other bank. Pretty grim stuff but a necessary risk in those days in the powder industry.

Here's the book I helped write with prime author Adrian Kinnane, a former colleague and close friend of mine:

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Banks-Brandywine-Miracles-Science/dp/0801870593
LOL! Seems it's been marked down to $1.45.

Sometimes I go to the local range and see young guys shooting every kind of AR clone under the sun. Then some old lion shows up, ragged mane, a little slower, a little more deliberate in the way he moves. He carries a well worn buck skin rifle bag, missing rows of tassels from years of protecting what's inside from damage. He flips open the end of the bag and withdraws the heavy octagonal barreled fire arm with the deep richly figured furniture accented by buttery smooth antique brass fixtures like decorations on a holiday tree. He pulls the color case hardened Hammer to half cock, flips the frizzen forward exposing the pan and touch hole, burnt black and grey from countless sparks like signals from the brain commanding it's heart to beat. A small puff of air into the pan and touch hole, more like a signal from one old lion to another, it's time!
He clears the weapon with gnarled hands sliding the ramrod home till it bounces just a touch off the face of the breech plug. His possibles bag hangs on his right side with his powder horn next to it. He pops the top off his horn and pours black powder into a hollowed out elk antler to the brim then pours it down the barrel tapping the but on the ground just once to settle the powder on the bottom. Next he grabs the small walnut block hanging around his neck with nine patched, lubed, lead balls in a neat three by three order and places a ball just over the muzzle. A practiced push with his thumb and the first patched ball is delivered to the muzzle. He lets the wood ball block fall to his chest at the end of the leather lanyard while simultaneously ramming the ball home to sit atop the powder load. Things move slower now. He grabs for a small brass tube on another lanyard and delivers a few grains of very fine powder to the pan. He flips the frizzen closed and gives the gun slight tap to insure the powder reaches the touch hole. He can hear his own heart beat between breaths as he raises the nearly 200 year old gun to his shoulder. He pulls the hammer to the fully cocked position and aquires his target and applies steady pressure to the trigger and like a surprise, for a second,
....just a second
........the old lions roar again!

how did you know about my hands?

ha ha ha

loved your post!

Sometimes when I see something it rivets itself into my mind complete with sound, color, temperature and smells. He was indeed, poetry in motion.
My shooting still hasn't evolved to that level of sophistication and simplicity combined but I am working on it.
Neil

How many folks actually knew there was an occurrence in Minden, LA until the Sept. letter came out?

Most likely not very many unless you live in that part of LA. Not very news worthy.

I read somewhere (how's THAT for documentation) that the U.S. military consumes a surprisingly large amount of black powder annually.
Yes they do . Used as igniners , sub charges , blank ammo , fuses. Used anywhere from rifles, grenades, artillery, rockets , mortar's ,hell as big as the military is it's used I believe even the food.
gunny

Hodgdon's BP subs are intended for a different market than GOEX BP is. Flintlocks compared to bolt-action in-lines with 209 primers. I don't think there is much competition there. Guys who shoot Pyrodex pellets will never touch Goex BP and vise versa. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't sell GOEX

Back