• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More Davenport Formula discussions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Every so often this topic comes up, but it's been a while so I'm starting it again. Simply, the davenport formula seeks to find the optimum / or maximum charge that will be fully consumed within the confines of the barrel. Much more than that, and the powder won't burn until it leaves and makes a nice pretty fireball at the muzzle. The formula is simple; 11.5 grains of powder per cubic inch of bore.

I have a few questions related to it however;

1.) Is that for cap guns or for open touch hole guns? How would it be adjusted between the 2 types? We typically need about 10% more powder in touch hole guns to achieve the same velocities, so that would seem a logical adjustment.
2.) What powder granulation is it made for? I had heard 2Fg, but most people are shooting 3Fg these days in guns with bores smaller than .62. Similar question on adjustment formula.
3.) Does it vary by projectile weight and patch lube / tightness / resistance? If so, what is the adjustment formula?
4.) Would there be a way to verify it using a load and chronograph with your own gun and with your own unique loads*?

*It would seem to me that using low loads (call it 25 gr in a 44" barreled 50 cal) and going up say in 5 grain increments, and knowing that BP burns at a constant rate regardless of pressure rather than logarithmically as pressure increases in smokeless, logic would say that velocity increases would be linear and constant as powder charge is increased, until you hit the optimum number. From that point on, your velocity increases per grain of powder will be a smaller and smaller number, similar to using a bigger and bigger motor on a boat; doubling the horsepower creates a 50% increase in speed.

While the davenport formula is usefull for maximum velocity , most of us are more interested in minimum groups. So I stick with "trial and error" exxperiments on each rifle, rather that maximum velocity.

Back