• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More "Canoe Gun" stuff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifleshooter2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
All this talk of canoe guns got me thinking. So I took an old 12 gauge trade gun I made years ago. choped it down to 18 inches and antiqued it a bit. Is it pratical? NO, Is it authentic many will say NO. Is it fun to Shoot YES YES YES. I'm working up a load for it to see what the accuracy potental is. I just shot her today with some undersized balls just to make noise (I was hitting a 8 X 11 inch sheet of paper at 25 yards every time I'm sure I can do better once I patch it.) More to follow.
017.jpg

022.jpg

018.jpg

Video

Andy
Save Legionville

moose lungs are considerably larger then 8x11. I'd say you got the practical part covered in addition to the fun part. Sounds like that proper sized PRB might get you out to 50 yards. Super practical IMHO. The minute you take it out in the woods to hunt with it becomes historically correct.

Looks great BTW thanks for sharing

Le Grand said:
Share your load with us. Which powder and how much?
This time I was shooting 80gr of 2f with a 690 ball just wrapped in a paper cartridge, loads easy but it's a loose fit at best.

Andy
Save Legionville

80 grains makes a genuine moose killer, doesn't it?

Sure should. Hard to live with a 3/4 inch hole bored through a foot or so of lung. Big round balls kill despite the numbers.

We dont have many moose here in PA but once I get her a little more dialed in I intend to try her out on a deer or two. She sure is a handy little piece and nice and light to carry.

Mike Brooks said:
ABOMINATION, SACRILEGE, SINNER! REPENT! REPENT! REPENT! :haha:
Fear not this is just a tempoary transgression. My next piece will have the proper length barrel as written in the book of smoothbores LOL :thumbsup:

"The minute you take it out in the woods to hunt with it becomes historically correct.'

I hope that was in jest, else many newcommers may have been set back quite a bit in their understanding of the terms. and their proper usage :hmm:

tg said:
"The minute you take it out in the woods to hunt with it becomes historically correct.'

I hope that was in jest, else many newcommers may have been set back quite a bit in their understanding of the terms. and their proper usage :hmm:
I can just see in the year 3012 some reenactor will find a copy of this thread and say " Hey I saw a guy using a canoe gun in 2011 so they are historically accurate for that period"

Mike Brooks said:
ABOMINATION, SACRILEGE, SINNER! REPENT! REPENT! REPENT! :haha:

You're wasting your breath, Mike. Didn't you see the Saiga/AK receiver hanging to the right of the parts cabinet? The man is beyond redemption. :grin:

You're wasting your breath, Mike. Didn't you see the Saiga/AK receiver hanging to the right of the parts cabinet? The man is beyond redemption. :grin: [/quote]

I have sinned :redface:

rifleshooter2 said:
You're wasting your breath, Mike. Didn't you see the Saiga/AK receiver hanging to the right of the parts cabinet? The man is beyond redemption. :grin:

I have sinned :redface:
[/quote]
Hell, I have a few AK recievers laying around here ...... :haha:

Gosh, that looks like a Curly 12 gage trade gun from approx. 1980 judging by the lock/frizzenspring.

I'll bet that at about 5 pounds that thing will whollop you with a .715 ball and your 80 grain load. It would probably tip a deer over just as well with only 60-65 gr.

Authenticity: If you actually chopped off a full length trade gun it can't get any more "authentic" than that.

The biggest issue is the term "canoe gun." It's as bad for some as mentioning tax breaks for the rich to a politician. They're not going to hear anything you have to say after you use the words, and instead you'll get treated to a long lecture. Pie fights are fun to watch once, but the reruns are worthless.

Call it a barn gun, and make them happy. It's no more historically accurate a term, yet the same gun called a barn gun is perfectly acceptable.

I've seen too many original trade guns cut short to doubt your short barn gun is anything but authentic. Stuff happens, gun barrels get damaged, and they get hacked off. For the old sport of buffalo running on horseback, short barrels appear to have been preferred by historic accounts I've read.

And as for hunting form a canoe? I've done a lot of it, enough to wish I'd brought along a barn gun rather than a long one.

Just for giggles has anyone really thought of the implications of firing a BP gun in or near a barn :rotf: .

I am no expert on anything but I have owned hay barns and I have stamped on patches and seen ranges closed to MLs during dry summers.
Not very likely that a barn owner would sanction such an event.

It would be a great way to get rid of a rat infestation thou shoot one and let the ensuing inferno drive the rest into the main house.

If ya doubt me go visit a horse barn and while hovering near a door stick a cigarette in your face and start patting for a lighter
:nono:
Hope ya got thick skin, cause some of it will get stripped and that by a man with replacement insurance!

Back