• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Moose Milk Recipe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATROD56

40 Cal
Reaction score
I know there are many variations of moose milk out there, everyone has their favorite but, can anyone give me the recipe for moose milk using Ballistol?

I use 1 Ballistol : 6 water when the temp. is above freezing. When it's <32 deg., I add 1 part 90% isopropyl alcohol to the mix. Either mixture on an almost dripping patch works extremely well in all my ML's and doesn't really require swabbing the bore between shots.

I use 1 Ballistol : 6 water when the temp. is above freezing. When it's <32 deg., I add 1 part 90% isopropyl alcohol to the mix. Either mixture on an almost dripping patch works extremely well in all my ML's and doesn't really require swabbing the bore between shots.
Great, thank you very much!

IMG_0229.jpeg

One part is what you make it. One can be one ounce or more, as long as it is kept in proper proportional amounts of each. The above would be one ounce Balistol, one ounce Pinesol, two ounces peroxide & 20 ounces of water. I use Murphy’s Oil Soap, 90% isopropyl Alcohol and Peroxide, equal parts. This is sometimes referred to as MAP. Good luck.

One part is what you make it. One can be one ounce or more, as long as it is kept in proper proportional amounts of each. The above would be one ounce Balistol, one ounce Pinesol etc. I use Murphy’s Oil Soap, 90% isopropyl Alcohol and Peroxide, equal parts. This is sometimes referred to as MAP. Good luck.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

I know there are many variations of moose milk out there, everyone has their favorite but, can anyone give me the recipe for moose milk using Ballistol?

I'm curious what your intended use for the moose milk is, patch lube, cleaning, or both ?

If you are just using it for cleaning you might consider using M.A.P.
Equal parts, peroxide, Murphy's oil soap, and alcohol For alcohol I use denatured or Heet in the yellow bottle. (might not be available to southerners.)

Here's my Moose milk recipe , but I've never actually used it.

16 water
1 peroxide
1 Lestoil
1 water soluble oil

So much variation can be applied to Moose Milk that almost any mixture that uses a suitable form of water soluble oil (such as Ballistol or some other free machining water soluble oil) and water that ends up having a milky appearance. I would use Murphy's Oil Soap as an alternative to Pine Sol. Sometimes the Murphy's Oil Soap, Rubbing Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide (Could use water with no ill effect), MAP, is called Moose Milk.

The simple version of one part of Ballistol to water (5 to 9 or more) parts of water is just one example of the range of formulas.

Note: All those variants have worked to someone's satisfaction. So don't get too worried about getting the proportions exactly.

Last edited:
Sometimes the Murphy's Oil Soap, Rubbing Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide (Could use water with not ill effect)
Yep!, Iv'e done it both ways, using peroxide or replacing it with water, both work, I think the peroxide works better, Just DON'T use water with chlorine in it.

Note: All those variants have worked to someone's satisfaction. So don't get too worried about getting the proportions exactly.

Ya, I've never actually measured (just eyeballed) and it always worked fine. I do have a lot of experience "eyeballing" though.

One more just for your amusement:
  • 3 oz castor oil
  • 1 oz Murphy's Oil Soap
  • 4 oz witch hazel
  • 8 oz 91% isopropyl alcohol
  • 16 oz non-chlorinated water
Shake well before using.

One more just for your amusement:
  • 3 oz castor oil
  • 1 oz Murphy's Oil Soap
  • 4 oz witch hazel
  • 8 oz 91% isopropyl alcohol
  • 16 oz non-chlorinated water
Shake well before using.
Thank you. Sorry for not responding sooner, I just saw your reply.

Latest posts

Back