• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose jerky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
last season a whitetail which was way too small for the gun. Later this year I'll go for feral hog in southern Missouri.

nice, I’ve never been to Missouri. But I hear it’s beautiful. Do you guys have elk or moose there?

Only moose I've had was steak brought down from a friend in Alaska, brought some caribou sausage too. Must say that was the BEST steak I ever sunk my teeth in!
Would love to try some jerky some day, but snapping turtle and rabbit will have to keep me happy for now.

I love moose meat. But I find elk and red stag to taste a little better than moose. Depending on where they were harvested, what diet and what time of the season of course. As with any animal. “ you are what you eat”

I love moose meat. But I find elk and red stag to taste a little better than moose. Depending on where they were harvested, what diet and what time of the season of course. As with any animal. “ you are what you eat”

I tend to agree… I’ve killed a couple moose & the meat is good but I’d still give the nod to elk. Both of mine were Shiras though. I suppose the taste between sub species, location etc could make a difference?

15 years or more ago my son was going to school on the bus. They came upon a roadkill moose very fresh as the guy was picking up pieces of his car. The bus stooped and ny son got off and talked with the accident victim. He did not want the moose. Son claimed it and had the bus driver call me and the PD.

No one was available but me. I went with the truck down to the scene. When i got there the bus driver said he got hold of the game warden who said it is ours and he would get to us later with the paperwork to possess it.

We took care of it. As it was my son's moose I asked what he wanted to do and he said JERKY. Processing it after backstrap steaks we had 340 pounds of meat left All was sliced into jerky. We had a BIG dehydrator bought in the Cabelases cave for $199 bucks with a dent in the side. 24 2 1/2 x 3 trays hels 1/2 of the slices so it took two trips to jerk it all. That was the only time we filled it.

Three months later in may all the jerky was eaten by my son and friends of his at school.

Back