• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Moose Hunting in MAINE.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBoat

36 Cl.
Reaction score
The Moose Hunting Tag in Maine is done by Lottery, You Buy a ticket or multiple tickets if your a non resident and wait to get picked. I dont know how some people get picked every year or two, there are some familys where all the Aunts, Unckles, Nieces and Nephues all get picked and they get 5 or 6 Moose in a year. The "Rules" State that if you get a Moose Tag, you have to wait 2 years before being eligable to get picked for another Moose Tag. however in order to keep your "Points" for applications you must buy a ticket every year. they have a Disabled Veteran Moose Harvest on the Broccoli farms where Fish & Game claims they will give out 24 or more Tags to Disabled Veterans. it is in the Aroostock County where you can use ATVs and must o with a Volunteer Maine Guide. I have been putting in for that for the past few years, have not been picked as Fish & Game has only issued 6 Tags to Disabled Veterans. Dont bother ask where the other Tags went as you wont get an answer. I could put in for the Lottery in zone #4 for 2022. Both for the Regular Moose hunt and the new Adaptive Hunt in the North Maine Woods area. would need group of Guys that are not as disabled as myself to help. Only the Primary tag holder and an Alternate may actually shoot the Moose, But there is a lot of Meat to go around. also there are Partridge and Black Bears and Really Big Whitetail Deer in the same area. would be fun to get some with the Muzzloaders! [email protected] the Muzzloaders!
NMW-Outline-in-Maine-cropped.png
https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/Final Adaptive Unit Moose Hunt Packet_7_21_21.pdf Email me [email protected] https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/Final Adaptive Unit Moose Hunt Packet_7_21_21.pdf Email me

Last edited:
Ames a friend down near Union (the friend, not the moose) got a moose quite a number of years back. If they hadn't had access with a tractor with a front end loader it would still be in the woods.

In over twenty years of out-of-state tries, I have never been picked. I have over 100 points. I try every year. One year I was offered a last-minute tag when someone backed out, but i couldn't make the necessary arrangements. Maine let me keep my points. I tried for the cow-only tick study tag this year, again not chosen. With only ten percent of the available tags going to non-residents, it is tough. I will keep trying. I may have to move to Maine; my hunting partner moved there for two years and was drawn his first year.

ADK Bigfoot

Big Foot, I think your odds are better as an out of state hunter. I have been drawn once since it started.
Nit Wit

I haven’t deer hunted Maine some the late 80s. But then if you drew and killed a moose it had to come out whole…. Having lived in Alaska I was shocked!
My buddy has put in for like 30 years and purchased extra chances and never drawn!
But if he does I am going! Look out grouse!

I haven’t deer hunted Maine some the late 80s. But then if you drew and killed a moose it had to come out whole…. Having lived in Alaska I was shocked!
My buddy has put in for like 30 years and purchased extra chances and never drawn!
What's the reasoning behind it having to "come out whole"? Seems crazy to me.

First, I want to say congrats to any here who was lucky enough to draw a tag. I got no-hit again in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

I got a Moose permit WAY back in 1982 when I lived there. I was lucky and shot an 820 Lb Bull literally off the side of a Tote Road near Demo Pond.

After field-dressing him, we backed the pick-up truck close to him. We laid a thick sheet of plywood down at an angle off of the tailgate/truck bed. We then hooked a strong chain across the tie-downs in the bed just behind the cab and connected a come-along winch. We then wrapped a chain around the head and antlers, onto the come along and winched him into the truck.

From there we stopped at a tavern and got some ice, which we placed into the body cavity as it was close to 70 degrees in September. Then it went to the check station. Once it was checked in, we took it to the cabins that we were staying, and the owner skinned and butchered him for us.

Have a plan for getting one out, as the days of seeing them close to a road like we did are unlikely. It was just luck. We were walking back to the truck when that Moose just burst out of cover and started trotting down the road.

When I lived in Connecticut, I put in for lottery every year for 15 years and finally gave up.
I have a friend who moved to Maine 2 years ago and got picked for this season.
He drew a bull tag for the Jackman, Maine area. WMU 8, I think?
I believe his alternate backed out. Maybe I'll get an invite to step in.

When I lived in Connecticut, I put in for lottery every year for 15 years and finally gave up.
I have a friend who moved to Maine 2 years ago and got picked for this season.
He drew a bull tag for the Jackman, Maine area. WMU 8, I think?
I believe his alternate backed out. Maybe I'll get an invite to step in.
I have a camp in Greeneville.
Nit Wit

It that Moosehead Lake area?
Seems like I have been there.
Big Big woods area. Once drove my Jeep Wagoner onto a logging road in Monson several hours later emerged in Greenville. Pre smartphone days All I had was a topography map. Lucky I never ventured out in that country with out a full gas tank.
If your hunting there keep your smart phone full charged and carry a battery backup.

Back