• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Montana Heritage Muzzleloader Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzle-loader

32 Cal
Reaction score
We are doing some research on the new Montana heritage muzzleloader season. Did any of you hunt it last year and if so, what are your thoughts?

I didn't hunt it, but it was the springboard that has gotten me into blackpowder and I plan to this year. It's late season for MT. I see you are from Oregon, so most likely expect cold and snow in most areas, higher elevations will be tough to access. You might be catching tail end of whitetail rut in some places. Bulls will be in their bachelor pads this time of year. Hunting seasons are long here, so this hunt is a clean up and animals will have been chased/shot at for almost 3 months at this point, so expect tough hunting/jumpy critters. It will be the least hunted season at least for awhile... I don't know a whole lot of hunters who went last year.

I didn't hunt it, but it was the springboard that has gotten me into blackpowder and I plan to this year. It's late season for MT. I see you are from Oregon, so most likely expect cold and snow in most areas, higher elevations will be tough to access. You might be catching tail end of whitetail rut in some places. Bulls will be in their bachelor pads this time of year. Hunting seasons are long here, so this hunt is a clean up and animals will have been chased/shot at for almost 3 months at this point, so expect tough hunting/jumpy critters. It will be the least hunted season at least for awhile... I don't know a whole lot of hunters who went last year.

Thank you for the info!

Not many of out local group hunted the special season, as all had pretty much tagged out in regular season.
We are working on putting together some classes for new black powder shooters in the Kalispell area. There was a lot of interest from people who wanted to hunt, but had zero knowledge of the firearms, and how to use them properly. We want to get them up to speed on proper loading, cleaning, and safety.

Not many of out local group hunted the special season, as all had pretty much tagged out in regular season.
We are working on putting together some classes for new black powder shooters in the Kalispell area. There was a lot of interest from people who wanted to hunt, but had zero knowledge of the firearms, and how to use them properly. We want to get them up to speed on proper loading, cleaning, and safety.
That would be pretty sweet! I'd enjoy participating. I sold a muzzleloader to a local fellow this week and he had 0 idea of what to do with one and it was this hunt that was spurring a lot of this on. It think this heritage season is going to get a lot more locals interested in black powder.

I for one am in, it's going to be cold, two weeks after the general season close's, which will be early Dec. Depends on the year, cold and snowy would be great. Clear out the out of state POS !

I took 5 days and hunted the new season. Was able to harvest the beautiful buck pictured below. First deer I'll be getting shoulder mounted. The story of the rifle and hunt is something a lot have loved to hear.

I got the Missouri River Shooters Association in Great Falls, MT to add a black powder discipline to the roster that I am heading off called the Frontier Riflemen. I know interest in BP in the state is only going to rose and wanted a place for anyone who shoots BP or wants to learn to gather and become proficient in the skill that is traditional BP.

92573.jpeg

My wife and I hunted the late season. We both had elk tags and she, a buck tag. We just take one rifle. I carry it. Sometimes I get to shoot it. This time neither of us shot it. There was an uptick at the range, before and during, with people preparing for the new season. I personally talked to two who filled buck tags. None who filled elk tags. If a person who wants to fill a tag can't do it during regular season with a scoped high power rifle, not much chance they will do it at the end of the season with a smokepole. Here, the weather was cold, there was good snow, and it was a great time to be out. If I'm still kicking this year for the late season, I'll be out there.

A couple anecdotes. One person who got a buck is an old timer, in worse physical condition than me. He really just wants "one more" elk. He didn't get it last year. After listening to all the fresh muzzleloading chatter, he dug his .54 out and went and shot a small buck, just for sausage and pepper sticks. The pepper sticks were great.

The other person was a young man (25) who I met at the range the first Sunday of the season. He was looking for help. He obviously knew very little about "black powder" and muzzleloaders. He wanted to know why his rifle, using Pyrodex, didn't always go off "immediately" when he pulled the trigger. He had killed a really nice whitetail the first day of the season when he and his friend had drift floated down the Bitterroot River, in the snow, and found his buck on the bank. He may not have known a lot about "black powder" but he has a hunters spirit and I would have loved to have been with him on that little trip.

We are doing some research on the new Montana heritage muzzleloader season. Did any of you hunt it last year and if so, what are your thoughts?
I've hunted it all three years..(going out again tomorrow). I have thoroughly enjoyed it because of the lack of competition at least at this point. A lot of the game has relaxed a little making it a little easier to get shot opportunities without the competition of the general season. I would be very concerned if the State of MT tried to allow modern MLs/in-lines and other than round ball projectiles...actually you can use lead slugs now, but not skirted/saboted gaschecked or otherwise modified bullets. To do so would defeat the whole purpose of this heritage season. To be honest I submitted comments years ago when the State was considering a season like this and indicated at that time, I did not believe it was necessary. I was already hunting the general season with a traditional ML and had plenty of opportunities. Now that it is in place, I like it.

Latest posts

Back