• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Monkey gun? .390 fullstock made in Brazil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbennettnc

20-to-the-pound
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Picked this up in a trade today. I recognized it from similar examples I'd seen online, some maybe from this forum. Anybody out there shooting these things? About .39 according to my caliper. Weird neat little world history smoothbore I'm happy to add to the collection.
I intend to shoot a few light shot load, with perhaps no more than 30 grains of powder with equal volum #6 or #8 shot. Nipple threads are in good shape, and the bore isn't absolute trash. Further cleaning and inspection will take place before shooting it. Any information or ideas about it are appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230415_161421.jpg
    20230415_161421.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230415_161427.jpg
    20230415_161427.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230415_161429.jpg
    20230415_161429.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230415_161451.jpg
    20230415_161451.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230415_161502.jpg
    20230415_161502.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230415_161506.jpg
    20230415_161506.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230415_161517.jpg
    20230415_161517.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Picked this up in a trade today. I recognized it from similar examples I'd seen online, some maybe from this forum. Anybody out there shooting these things? About .39 according to my caliber. Weird neat little world history smoothbore I'm happy to add to the collection.
I intend to shoot a few light shot load, with perhaps no more than 30 grains of powder with equal volum #6 or #8 shot. Nipple threads are in good shape, and the bore isn't absolute trash. Further cleaning and inspection will take place before shooting it. Any information or ideas about it are appreciated!
I have 2 in 54 cal with 28” barrels and a wire ramrod ,they shoot shot good to 20yds with 35 grns of powder and 55 grns equivalent shot .Nice light little gun for taking in the woods.Walt

What makes this a monkey gun?
I've read that tiny smoothbores like this were sold to remote inhabitants in jungles, where monkeys were hunted for food, or to ornithologist for shooting birds with light enough loads of shot that the bird were killed but their carcasses weren't too damaged, for study. Hence, some folks have dubbed these "monkey guns."

Picked this up in a trade today. I recognized it from similar examples I'd seen online, some maybe from this forum. Anybody out there shooting these things? About .39 according to my caliper. Weird neat little world history smoothbore I'm happy to add to the collection.
Besides that writing..."made in Brazil"... is there any other brand?

I figure it was imported by that corporation, but made in Brazil. Seems like a similar situation to how Rossi .22s are popular in the States nowadays, but are also manufactured in Brazil.
Not quite sure what you mean by something being "easier." If it was made in Washington, DC I would likely trust it less than a gun made it Brazil. Having owned Rossi cartridge guns, I have always seen Brazilian guns to be items of good quality.

Acho que foi importado por aquela corporação, mas fabricado no Brasil. Parece uma situação semelhante a como os Rossi .22 são populares nos Estados Unidos hoje em dia, mas também são fabricados no Brasil.
Não tenho certeza do que você quer dizer com algo sendo "mais fácil". Se fosse fabricado em Washington, DC, provavelmente confiaria menos nele do que uma arma no Brasil. Tendo possuído as metralhadoras Rossi, sempre considerei as armas brasileiras itens de boa qualidade.
FABRICANTE / PAÍS: ROSSI / BRASIL
Foi então que a empresa brasileira Rossi, localizada no Rio Grande do Sul, recebeu a missão de fabricar e exportar uma réplica do fuzil Winchester 22.
Pelas fábricas norte-americanas FIREARMS INT'L CORP WASHINGTON, DC e Interarms, que representaram além da brasileira Rossi, a famosa alemã Walther, a espanhola Star e Astra, entre outras.
Para você entender a importância da fábrica brasileira Rossi, no contexto mundial.

MANUFACTURER / COUNTRY: ROSSI / BRAZIL
It was then that the Brazilian company Rossi, located in Rio Grande do Sul, received the mission to manufacture and export a replica of the Winchester 22 rifle.
For US factories FIREARMS INT’L CORP WASHINGTON, D.C. and Interarms, which represented besides the Brazilian Rossi, the famous German Walther, the Spanish Star and Astra, among others.
For you to understand the importance of the Brazilian factory Rossi, in the world context.

FIREARMS INT'L CORP WASHINGTON, DC was actually the importer of several weapons manufactured in Brazil.
This one of yours must have been from a small builder, as it doesn't register other brands.
Rossi was bought by Taurus, which also bought CBC.
practically forming a monopoly in Brazil.
Interestingly, Taurus supports the disarmament policy in Brazil. Sounds like a joke doesn't it?

When M/L was "rediscovered" in the 60's, full-page ads were common and replete with this type of firearm. Quite a few variations. Original story was that they were made for sale to "natives" where modern firearms were not allowed or M/L's were favored. Didn't take long for importers to offer variants loosely resembling "muskets" (they weren't) and labelling them differently.

My half-stock shotgun met it's demise when I shot a fox and broke the stock trying to smash it in the head. For many of us, this type of gun was our introduction to muzzleloading shotguns. "Natives" today apparently prefer the AK-47 if our media photos are representational of "jungles" in far-off places.

Had one back in the early 70s, it took three or four clicks of the hammer to fire a percussion cap so I never knew when it would fire. Still killed lots of rabbits, squirrels and armadillos with mine as a youngster. It was my first long barrel muzzleloader along with a brass frame cap and ball 1851 that I ordered out of the ads in Outdoor life for $19.99

Latest posts

Back