• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Molybdenum grease bore lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you want to clean the moly out? It is a lubricant and "slicks" up the bore most likely filling the pores of the metal making cleaning easier.
I used a type moly coated bullets we don't talk about here in a type of gun we don't talk about here and it made the barrel slicker than a mashed grape on a terrazzo floor. Cleaning up was a snap, patches black as the core of the pit, but completely fouling clean.
It ain't broke don't fix it.
Bunk

Why do you want to clean the moly out? It is a lubricant and "slicks" up the bore most likely filling the pores of the metal making cleaning easier.
I used a type moly coated bullets we don't talk about here in a type of gun we don't talk about here and it made the barrel slicker than a mashed grape on a terrazzo floor. Cleaning up was a snap, patches black as the core of the pit, but completely fouling clean.
It ain't broke don't fix it.
Bunk
I haven’t used it yet on the Pietta. The issue I have with the rifle is that from the factory 3 lands of the rifling have stuff in them that will not come clean. But it’s on a rifle that can’t be mentioned in this forum.

I have not received the Pietta yet it’s on it’s way! I have never heard of moly coated bullets I have heard of the graphite ones though.

If your 51 is a Pietta 451 balls should be fine. If you can get CCI #11 here is a link for a DIY cap sizer it works good with a short learning curve. caps coming off Pietta 1858 remington .44

Welp I ended up ordering round balls .454 from muzzleloader.com they have a sale no shipping on ammo.

still searching for caps. Beings that I am a newbie I would feel the most comfortable with Remington no 10 as that is the recommendation.

Welp I ended up ordering round balls .454 from muzzleloader.com they have a sale no shipping on ammo.

still searching for caps. Beings that I am a newbie I would feel the most comfortable with Remington no 10 as that is the recommendation.

There is a cap shortage I use whatever I can find. I make my own caps but it is slow going. I'm using small pistol primers in my Remington. sooner or later things will get back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

I sure hope so it’s getting so bad I can’t find anything anymore! it’s really strange because modern cartridges seem to be making a come back at the store shelves but vendors don’t seem to be paying any attention to muzzleloading supplies at least not in My Area.

it’s funny because I watch some idiot on YouTube saying don’t stop buying ammo shortage will continue great! I stockpiled 6000 pellets for my air guns and even those are hard to find now.

I hate it when the masses panic it’s like a A herd of sheep They got spooked by a wolf.

My favorite storie is about a guy that stock piled $2000 worth of toilet paper put it in his basement. his basement flooded and all the toilet paper got ruined. NoW that’s karma

In this life, you try to conduct the best you can. I only buy what my wife and I need and leave something for my neighbors. We have older people that live in our condo that got caught with no TP we shared with them until they could find some. Sounds like that guy got his.

My Pietta .44 caliber revolvers all work fine with .451" balls. The Hornady .454" balls were tried today and were satisfactory but were just a bit harder to load. I cast my own and cast in a Lee .451" mold. CCI#11 caps are about the same as Remington #10 but don't do well on Slixshot cones and I don't know why.
If it can be found a 1860 Army by Uberti is somewhere in the armory and when time is available it will be tried with .451" and .454" balls if there is a difference
Bunk

I haven’t used it yet on the Pietta. The issue I have with the rifle is that from the factory 3 lands of the rifling have stuff in them that will not come clean. But it’s on a rifle that can’t be mentioned in this forum.

I have not received the Pietta yet it’s on it’s way! I have never heard of moly coated bullets I have heard of the graphite ones though.
It is a suppository gun thing Precision Bullets the "Black Bullet"

Pietta recommends .451 balls for there 44cal guns .454 also work fine. Uberti recommends .454. My Uberti walker needs .457 balls while .454 balls fit My Uberti Dragoon fine. :dunno:

Pietta recommends .451 balls for there 44cal guns .454 also work fine. Uberti recommends .454. My Uberti walker needs .457 balls while .454 balls fit My Uberti Dragoon fine. :dunno:

because I don’t know what I’m doing and apparently I have tons of money I went ahead and ordered .451 as well as .454 balls hopefully they’ll both work.

At first I was going to ask the members Here if they’d be willing to send me a sampler pack size 6 of which I would pay Some type of fair recompensation.

However I ended up making the purchase for $12 for a box of 100. seemed like a good way to go.

You are good they should both should work. You are in the honeymoon stage with your gun. Just shoot it get acquainted with it. Later on, shoot from a rest using an adjustable powder measure work up a load your gun likes just shoot for groups after you work up your load you can open up your rear sight and adjust your point of impact. Have fun it is a great hobby. When working up your load try both balls and see what one your gun likes best.

You are good they should both should work. You are in the honeymoon stage with your gun. Just shoot it get acquainted with it. Later on, shoot from a rest using an adjustable powder measure work up a load your gun likes just shoot for groups after you work up your load you can open up your rear sight and adjust your point of impact. Have fun it is a great hobby. When working up your load try both balls and see what one your gun likes best.
You couldn’t be more right about the honeymoon phase!
Speaking of loads... I know this is getting a little off-topic and I thank you guys for all your help I really do.
So with my gun being great brass I want to baby it was a 12 grain charge. One of my concerns is proper bullet seating and compression of the powder.
So I had an idea for a load using 12 grain powder A paper wad then cornmeal the bullet then beeswax and olive oil.
F23948D8-3799-48E5-8F64-283370BFE003.jpeg

I am not very well versed on 777. I don't think you should play around with 777 unless you know exactly what you are doing. You could call Hodgdon and talk to a tech. I would advise you to use black powder or Pyrodex when playing around with wads and fillers and lubes.

Ok I think I found my mistakes and since It’s an Italian Pieta I have to use polenta instead of cornmeal the corn meal is only for American guns.

unfortunately triple seven is the only game in town right now. With it burning hotter and with this being a brass gun that means I have to have a light load I doubt that the bullet will seat all the way with the 12 grain load.

That gap Between powder and bullet I feel it’s going to be more dangerous than not using a wad and filler. Also I don’t need to bring the bullet all the way up to the arbor I just want a little peace of mind with the bullet will seat firmly on something solid.

Plan is Load the powder Put a piece of paper towel over that, tamp the power and the wad lightly with an oak dowel. Add filler then bullet and use the guns “rod” to seat the bullet.

The idea here is the paper will keep the powder from mixing with the Inert cornmeal Weakening the charge. It will however provide a nice raised base of powder in which to seat the bullet.

The lubrication will be a caulking on top of the bullet a beeswax mixed with olive oil.

I’ve been reading that many competition black powder shooters use some type of filler material to bring ball up to the arbor.

For my purpose I really don’t need that much filler for the bullet to come forward all the way up to on the arbor I just want a good solid base to seat the bullet.

pistol will be here Monday still looking for number 10 caps going to the range with the daughter anyway gonna take some air rifles And other rifle they cannot be mentioned.

Awesome tips and tricks there as well going to have a look at that spring as soon as she comes in!
And I agree looks like the right on top of us partner best regulate. I tell you this whole side of historicalish Black powder culture seems a lot more fun then modern in line! You guys are awesome!
That's because we love you, we're not like the rest!

jb78963.Bit off topic but I know "that slicker that smashed grapes on a terrazzo floor",especially white grapes you can't see. Spent the last 12 months hardly able to shoot. Sorry a bit off-topic,..
but the shoulder repair has'nt worked well.. OLDDOG..

Ok I think I found my mistakes and since It’s an Italian Pieta I have to use polenta instead of cornmeal the corn meal is only for American guns.

unfortunately triple seven is the only game in town right now. With it burning hotter and with this being a brass gun that means I have to have a light load I doubt that the bullet will seat all the way with the 12 grain load.

That gap Between powder and bullet I feel it’s going to be more dangerous than not using a wad and filler. Also I don’t need to bring the bullet all the way up to the arbor I just want a little peace of mind with the bullet will seat firmly on something solid.

Plan is Load the powder Put a piece of paper towel over that, tamp the power and the wad lightly with an oak dowel. Add filler then bullet and use the guns “rod” to seat the bullet.

The idea here is the paper will keep the powder from mixing with the Inert cornmeal Weakening the charge. It will however provide a nice raised base of powder in which to seat the bullet.

The lubrication will be a caulking on top of the bullet a beeswax mixed with olive oil.

I’ve been reading that many competition black powder shooters use some type of filler material to bring ball up to the arbor.

For my purpose I really don’t need that much filler for the bullet to come forward all the way up to on the arbor I just want a good solid base to seat the bullet.

pistol will be here Monday still looking for number 10 caps going to the range with the daughter anyway gonna take some air rifles And other rifle they cannot be mentioned.
I believe you are making things more complex than necessary so hopefully these powder smoke stained fingers will give you some ideas.
It may not be the BEST way, but it is MY way and works well for me covering many years with many different Colt style revolvers..
First, if you can find either American Pioneer Powder, Jim Shokey's Gold ,or Alliant Black MZ (which are all the same product under different labels) it is a closer replica of real Black Gun Powder and is much less corrosive than Pyrodex or possibly 777.
Instead of a wad of paper use a wad cut with a wad cutter (Track of the Wolf) of your caliber out of thin cardboard or better yet use a lubricating wad (Wonder Wad, TOW) over the powder and under the ball. The lubrication is for keeping the powder fouling soft not for lead fouling.

Always measure powder, either replica or original, by VOLUME not on a scale. A 50 grain powder measure from good old TOW is a handy thing to have.

Having the ball level with the chamber mouth inmy opinion is not that important unless perhaps you are precision target shooting.
My Pietta Marshal .44 caliber using a .451" ball, lube wad,over 25 grains of FFFg GOEX is shooting playing card size groups off hand at 10 yards. and the ball is almost a ball diameter down from the chamber mouth.

Most important is not to leave an air space between the powder and the ball !!

Black powder needs a little bit of compression to burn properly. The APP type powders want NO compression.
I cannot speak about 777 or Pyrodex but it would be prudent to check with the maker about compressing the powder charge.

Caveat...I am not sponsored or supported by Track of the Wolf in any way. I am just a satisfied customer since the Wolf was a puppy. They are just a good source of excellent quality equipment for our hobby.
Respectfully submitted
Bunk

I believe you are making things more complex than necessary so hopefully these powder smoke stained fingers will give you some ideas.
It may not be the BEST way, but it is MY way and works well for me covering many years with many different Colt style revolvers..
First, if you can find either American Pioneer Powder, Jim Shokey's Gold ,or Alliant Black MZ (which are all the same product under different labels) it is a closer replica of real Black Gun Powder and is much less corrosive than Pyrodex or possibly 777.
Instead of a wad of paper use a wad cut with a wad cutter (Track of the Wolf) of your caliber out of thin cardboard or better yet use a lubricating wad (Wonder Wad, TOW) over the powder and under the ball. The lubrication is for keeping the powder fouling soft not for lead fouling.

Always measure powder, either replica or original, by VOLUME not on a scale. A 50 grain powder measure from good old TOW is a handy thing to have.

Having the ball level with the chamber mouth inmy opinion is not that important unless perhaps you are precision target shooting.
My Pietta Marshal .44 caliber using a .451" ball, lube wad,over 25 grains of FFFg GOEX is shooting playing card size groups off hand at 10 yards. and the ball is almost a ball diameter down from the chamber mouth.

Most important is not to leave an air space between the powder and the ball !!

Black powder needs a little bit of compression to burn properly. The APP type powders want NO compression.
I cannot speak about 777 or Pyrodex but it would be prudent to check with the maker about compressing the powder charge.

Caveat...I am not sponsored or supported by Track of the Wolf in any way. I am just a satisfied customer since the Wolf was a puppy. They are just a good source of excellent quality equipment for our hobby.
Respectfully submitted
Bunk

I trust your powder stained hands my friend and you are right I tend to overthink things. Of most importance as you said is no air between charge and ball. That’s what worried me about using a 12 grain charge in the brass 1851.

I am very disappointed with the powder formulations available to me here locally. to give you an idea of my frustration I purchased the last and only jug of powder available. Triple 7 which if I recall dislikes compression.

I just realize I didn’t even have a nipple wrench! Though this is a financially difficult time I am determined to make the enjoyment of this pistol come to pass.

Honestly at this point I’m thinking about just buying the biting hazmat fee and getting 5 pounds of Swiss or German equivalent.

Back