• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lee aluminum for me. Just can't justify the significant difference in expense for iron/steel moulds. The performance/price advantage just isn't there, aluminum is too inexpensive and works too well. That said I have a couple brass moulds obtained with cap and ball revolvers, and one iron/steel Lyman mold for round balls for my 12 gauge as Lee does not make the aluminum ones that large, and they all work fine.

As far as PC goes, pottery clay was a popular material for moulds, as was soapstone and other easily carved stone. Even animal tusks/horns were used:

"In the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago there is an Inuit bullet mould that was hand-carved out of a single, split Walrus tusk. I stood staring at that display for quite some time, imagining the many long, cold, lonely nights spent carefully splitting, facing, hinging, and shaping that ivory in some remote igloo until the round balls that fell from it were just right for whatever musket that hardy soul used to feed himself with."

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_9_MouldsMouldDesign.htm

And while walrus tusk may be PC, it probably is not "PC" in today's world.;)

The Pennsylvania Gazette
January 5, 1748
From the GENERAL MAGAZINE.
A New Method of making BULLET MOULDS.

THE Badness of the Bullet Moulds brought into America for common Sale, and the Difficulty of meeting with one of them, bad as they are, that will fit one's Gun , will render the following Invention, for making (easily) true and exact Bullet Moulds, agreeable to all Lovers of good Shooting. First provide yourself with two Pieces of Lead about an Inch and Half, or two Inches Square, and half as thick, and smooth their Faces, so that when joined they may make near a Cube; then get some Marbles (such as Boys play with) from the smallest to the Size that fits your Gun, oyl or grease the Marbles and Lead well; and with the Assistance of a Smith's Vyce, with two flat Pieces of Iron in the Chaps of it, press the two Pieces of Lead with the smallest Marble between, till the Marble be quite sank in the Lead; then put in the next greater, always remembering to keep the Lead and Marbles well oyl'd do thus successively, till you have brought it to the Size you want: And, to prevent the Bullets having Edges, smooth the Faces of the Mould, and press in the same Marbles several Times, by which Means you may make Moulds of wonderful Exactness. Then cut a Gate and fit the Corner with Pins, to keep the Pieces in a proper Position for casting. When you use it, smoke it well, and take Care the melted Lead be not so hot as to burn Paper.

Spence

The Pennsylvania Gazette
January 5, 1748
From the GENERAL MAGAZINE.
A New Method of making BULLET MOULDS.

THE Badness of the Bullet Moulds brought into America for common Sale, and the Difficulty of meeting with one of them, bad as they are, that will fit one's Gun , will render the following Invention, for making (easily) true and exact Bullet Moulds, agreeable to all Lovers of good Shooting. First provide yourself with two Pieces of Lead about an Inch and Half, or two Inches Square, and half as thick, and smooth their Faces, so that when joined they may make near a Cube; then get some Marbles (such as Boys play with) from the smallest to the Size that fits your Gun, oyl or grease the Marbles and Lead well; and with the Assistance of a Smith's Vyce, with two flat Pieces of Iron in the Chaps of it, press the two Pieces of Lead with the smallest Marble between, till the Marble be quite sank in the Lead; then put in the next greater, always remembering to keep the Lead and Marbles well oyl'd do thus successively, till you have brought it to the Size you want: And, to prevent the Bullets having Edges, smooth the Faces of the Mould, and press in the same Marbles several Times, by which Means you may make Moulds of wonderful Exactness. Then cut a Gate and fit the Corner with Pins, to keep the Pieces in a proper Position for casting. When you use it, smoke it well, and take Care the melted Lead be not so hot as to burn Paper.

Spence

I gather that Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gun Works came about sometime after 1748.:D

Those old boys were creative.

Best regards, Skychief

NOE Bullet Molds in Provo, UT makes VERY high quality molds. They will make them using the metal of your choice.

Don't tell us about this wonder mold without telling us where they can be had..
In 40 years in the sport, I have never head of these.

Dutch Schoultz

The best moulds are neither Aluminium or Steel they are made from a cast iron called Meehanite. It's very pure, consistent and close grained making it ideal for moulds needing on polishing after the cut is made. With proper care an iron mould will last a life time.

NEI is no longer taking orders. Walt's daughter is trying to sell the business after her husband passed away.

I'm not into muzzleloading. I just like reading what others are doing. Much expertise here.

Back