• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modifying Kentucky pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20190407_193953.jpg

This is my Pedersoli .45 Kentucky percussion that I got about a year ago on GunBroker (recently got a nice matching flintlock from a forum member) and I use it heavily as an informal target pistol.

Now, I had been wondering "why do I occasionally have caps fail to pop" , realized the trigger was hitting the trigger guard, not letting it fully push the sear bar (?) and the hammer was "hitching" on the half cock notch, slowing it down.

I tried to relieve the trigger guard with a hand file, it looks like hammered manure now since Pedersoli seems to use some kind of alloy, and I'm not buying another one. I had planned on trying to clean it up with a Dremel but I've kinda given up.

I thought, maybe I'll just leave it off......and fill in the channels with wood , or see if the small woodworking shop near me will do it for a small fee....to give it a "finished" look. I kinda like how it looks without the trigger guard, and since I use it purely for range shooting I see no issues with it. I've seen pics of some muzzleloading pistols made back in that period with no trigger guards.

Also added a Marbles full buckhorn rear sight , and found out the dovetail channel was crooked......good thing this pistol is extremely accurate or else I'd be let down by these finishing flaws.....

Now the rear sight can be used as a "ghost ring" yet still maintain some kind of late 1800s "period" appearance.

This is just a fun gun for me so I'm not trying to make this a museum piece.

I had planned on buying a Mortimer pistol and maybe a LePage flintlock....I hope Pedersoli puts more care into their "match grade" stuff.

"I had planned on buying a Mortimer pistol and maybe a LePage flintlock....I hope Pedersoli puts more care into their "match grade" stuff."

It amazes me at times the problems folks are having with Pedersoli products.

I have a pair of Kentucky pistols, flint and percussion and no problems at all. They are used for line matches. I have a pair of Charles Moore's, flint and percussion. They were shipped with the wrong height front sights, shot 12" high at 25 yards. Flintlocks Etc. talked with Mr. Pedersoli while he was in the U.S. and he admitted that some pistols were shipped with the wrong sights, he sent me replacement sights after returning home.

I will not admit to how many Pedersoli rifles and shot guns that I have, but with the rifles and shotguns no problems.

I do not doubt folks having problems, I just wonder why.

I do know that the factory shuts down for one month each year for vacation, it's a European thing.

Had a friend who worked for GM and he said to never buy a vehicle made on a Friday or Monday.

I did kinda love how the gun handled with no trigger guard, but I cleaned it up with a Dremel, and put it back on. The trigger goes all the way back now.

I think they sell the Factory Grade B or Seconds to distributors, maybe that's my I got this for $300 shipped from an online GunBroker FFL dealer.

It makes a good range fun gun and with 20 gr charges and round balls, its relatively cheap to shoot.

I haven't mastered one handed 25 yard Bullseye shooting with it, I can't put a group together. But this makes a good practice gun.

I took mine to my gunsmith and had the trigger pull reduced on both.

Get some 1/4 inch vacuum tubing and cut it to fit over the top of the nipple so the hammer does not hit the nipple when fired. You can practice dry firing inside your house, I shoot at my light switches.

Also facet washers from the hard ware store will work for dry firing.

Dry firing will do wonders for reducing your group size. Great part of dry firing is you don't have to clean it when you are finished.

That's a good idea, I'll have to try it.

I love 25 yard target shooting with this , l lots of fun. It's tough to get a good group with one hand shooting.

If you do not have a pistol loading stand you need to make one, it simplifies loading a lot as well as cleaning.

Some folks think there are tricks to becoming a decent pistol shot, there are none.

It requires dry firing and practice. Pistol shooting in 90% mental.

I do have a loading stand , makes shooting these so much more enjoyable.

It looks like the trigger guard inlet was short so they shoehorned it in there, creating the issue with the trigger hitting it. I'm still debating filling the trigger guard channel in and leaving it guard-less. I liked how my finger just "finds" the trigger when coming down on target , with it not on there.

I'm a realist, I understand Pedersoli makes these to a price point and I got my $300 worth of pistol. The Kentucky pistols and rifles are the "utility / field" grade muzzleloading guns in their lineup.

I see those guns on the Track of the Wolf website....... hand fitted pistols made in the 1960s by master gun makers etc that are like $2000 and I can see why.

I did ok at about 10 yards, moving back to 25 the targets got ugly :)

I seemed to shoot a little better with a leather glove on

Attachments

• 20190408_104907.jpg
    20190408_104907.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190408_104833.jpg
    20190408_104833.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 48
Back