• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Modifying a lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose I need to order some gravers and riffling files then. This is the first rifle I've built (Kibler Colonial) so I still don't have an extensive collection of tools. Just thinking some nice simple bevels and such might be a nice detail element for the rifle.
Hi,
For your round faced lock, which is supposed to represent an imported English lock, a simple beaded border or border line (lines) would look great. Normally, there would not be a bevel on those style locks. Here are some examples:
vMLAxTd.jpg

65uNnCl.jpg

7gMDl4j.jpg

dave

Hi,
For your round faced lock, which is supposed to represent an imported English lock, a simple beaded border or border line (lines) would look great. Normally, there would not be a bevel on those style locks. Here are some examples:
vMLAxTd.jpg

65uNnCl.jpg

7gMDl4j.jpg

dave
Yeah that is kinda what I had in mind Dave, possibly a very small step down at the tail with the boarder following the curve of the base of the cock.

Do you normally use similar tools for that?

I am, and have been for some time, totally envious of the abilities of Dave and Dave. With my built-in hand tremor, I have great difficulty just making a random straight line. I do practice with the graver and hammer, but not on a daily basis.
Watching an engraving video, I have been able to change my grip of the graver a bit, improving the line so to speak. At almost 76, I know that I won't be able to devote the time that each of the Dave's has used to improve their abilities - ain't that much time left in the known universe.
Still - I try, and that is all I can do.

Latest posts

Back