Modifying a lock

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

dave_person

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose I need to order some gravers and riffling files then. This is the first rifle I've built (Kibler Colonial) so I still don't have an extensive collection of tools. Just thinking some nice simple bevels and such might be a nice detail element for the rifle.
Hi,
For your round faced lock, which is supposed to represent an imported English lock, a simple beaded border or border line (lines) would look great. Normally, there would not be a bevel on those style locks. Here are some examples:

dave

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
For your round faced lock, which is supposed to represent an imported English lock, a simple beaded border or border line (lines) would look great. Normally, there would not be a bevel on those style locks. Here are some examples:

dave
Yeah that is kinda what I had in mind Dave, possibly a very small step down at the tail with the boarder following the curve of the base of the cock.

Do you normally use similar tools for that?

Craig "Wildcat" Wilcox

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am, and have been for some time, totally envious of the abilities of Dave and Dave. With my built-in hand tremor, I have great difficulty just making a random straight line. I do practice with the graver and hammer, but not on a daily basis.
Watching an engraving video, I have been able to change my grip of the graver a bit, improving the line so to speak. At almost 76, I know that I won't be able to devote the time that each of the Dave's has used to improve their abilities - ain't that much time left in the known universe.
Still - I try, and that is all I can do.

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are amazing. I have neither the patience or skill to do something approaching what you do. Kudos!

Latest posts