• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Modified Pedersoli Kentucky Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loonhaven

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've been looking for a .54 cal flintlock pistol to go with my customized Lyman GPR flintlock in .54 cal. I have a .54 GP pistol to match my .54 GPR in percussion. The Pedersoli seemed to fit the bill with some significant changes.
FK0940.JPG.jpg
20200203_121757.jpg
20200203_121734.jpg
20200331_135429.jpg
20200331_135736.jpg
20200319_102744.jpg

I originally browned the barrel, then rubbed it down with 0000 steel wool to give it an aged and worn look. It was fairly blotchy so I took it down to the bare metal. Heated the barrel and coated with motor oil. It hasn't been fired so we'll see if if it remains rust free.
20200223_180125.jpg
20200331_135429.jpg

Wow. That looks amazing. I just ordered that same kit, but this will be my first build so I don’t anticipate doing anything near that level of customization.
Just take your time. Look at some original pistols for some inspiration. And don't use a dremel tool on any wood unless you've got nerves of steel.

Just take your time. Look at some original pistols for some inspiration. And don't use a dremel tool on any wood unless you've got nerves of steel.
Note: Be very careful when fitting the trigger guard. Mine broke at the rear of the bow. Be sure to heat it thoroughly with a torch and bend gently. I had to order a replacement from DGW. No cost at least.

You did a super job with that pistol, Stephen. I really like the way you half-stocked it.

That looks like a Hawken-style nosecap. Is it sheet metal, or did you pour it? Also, how did you attach the rib? Screws? Solder?

You got a very nice finish on the wood and the metal on this pistol. Strong work?

Notchy Bob

That was supposed to be an exclamation point at the end of my post, not a question mark. I haven't figured out how to go back and edit my posts on this forum.

Notchy Bob

You did a super job with that pistol, Stephen. I really like the way you half-stocked it.

That looks like a Hawken-style nosecap. Is it sheet metal, or did you pour it? Also, how did you attach the rib? Screws? Solder?

You got a very nice finish on the wood and the metal on this pistol. Strong work?

Notchy Bob
Thanks Notchy Bob
Nose cap is cast and came with the kit. Underrib is silver soldered. The nose cap design is not the best as it doesn't allow much wood to be inserted. It was supposed to be screwed to barrel. Poor design imho. I drilled, pinned and epoxied it. Won't be coming off soon.

Back