• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Modern Whitworth bullets from Pedersoli and K.A.L moulds...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A kind-hearted soul on the Whitworth FB pages sent me a selection of Whitworth-style bullets of various kinds to help me make my mind up about getting a suitable mould, or not. I thought I'd share them with you.

1629725359369.png

a. As cast from the Pedersoli mould - he notes that due to the separate nose-piece this mould takes a good while to come up with the goods, and needs to be kept working one starting to produce keep-worthy bullets.

b. As cast from the K.A.L mould, with 9~ onion-skin paper wrap. Put on wet and folded under the base.

c. As cast Pedersoli bullets with the onion-skin wrap and d. with very thin print paper.

Note that the bore of my P-H Whitworth is .4485" - IOW, tight, although geometry being what it is, a nekkid .451" sized Lyman bullet WILL go down nicely. So, bullet b is a good close fit and would go down with little effort, probably under the weight of the ranging rod alone. Bullet c is somewhat closer but is still an easy loader, and d is pretty tight, but still goes down, albeit with some effort.

Here is the pattern for the paper patch, thanks to the same kind soul - this is from an original provided by K.A.L. in Manitoba.

1629726630537.png

PS- if anybody in UK is interested, I have a contact in the Channel Islands who is in the process of making Whitworth moulds to any width a/f, as well as cylindrical pattern as well. PM me for details.

There is also the LEM moulds from Glenn McQuire in the UK who can be contacted at vivien.mcquire(at) sky.com. Currently being advertised by him on eBay at £65.

There is also the LEM moulds from Glenn McQuire in the UK who can be contacted at vivien.mcquire(at) sky.com. Currently being advertised by him on eBay at £65.

I have one of Mr Mr McQuire's moulds, advertised, albeit not by him, as a Whitworth mould, also bought off ebay for that amount. It is actually a very fine .451 cylindrical bullet mould, and the bullet it makes - provided inside the mould - is too big for my Whitworth, which measures .4485" across flats. My sizing die can not reduce such a bullet to fit my rifle, hence I'm offering it for sale to anybody here in UK who might be able to use it.

I have one of Mr Mr McQuire's moulds, advertised, albeit not by him, as a Whitworth mould, also bought off ebay for that amount. It is actually a very fine .451 cylindrical bullet mould, and the bullet it makes - provided inside the mould - is too big for my Whitworth, which measures .4485" across flats. My sizing die can not reduce such a bullet to fit my rifle, hence I'm offering it for sale to anybody here in UK who might be able to use it.
He does .441 examples too.

I have the KAL mould. It was expensive but it must be among the highest quality hexagonal moulds in the world. it consistently casts a .440 slug. It’s iron so it takes a while to get to temperature.

Back