Modern Eyeglasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB67

45 Cal.
Reaction score
First you said sunglasses in the Roman empire, then say here the 1st sunglasses were from 12th C China. I'm pretty sure the Roman Empire was gone by then...
Can you read?? I said forms of sunglasses. One of the emperors had large green gemstone which he often used viewing activities in the coliseum.
Who invented sunglasses and how did sunglasses originate?
The first sunglasses were invented by the Chinese in the 12 th century. They were a crude slab of smoked quartz that was made to block out the sunrays. The primitive frames were roughly framed to hold them against a user’s face. They are also found in 1400 europe. So shove your DUHHHHHHHHHH you know where.

LRB

75 Cal.
Reaction score
First you said sunglasses in the Roman empire, then say here the 1st sunglasses were from 12th C China. I'm pretty sure the Roman Empire was gone by then...

Snapper Petta

32 Cal
Reaction score
Wow...this has kind of blown up since I posted yesterday. Just an FYI...I agree with @LRB (Wick) that beards weren't typical on men in the 18th century. Having facial hair is one of the reasons I've never attempted to join a military unit...soldiers & officers shave; I'm not so inclined. The "unit" that I wrote about was a ranging unit; out for up to a week at a time. Since my beard is closed cropped to my face, it's like most men's beard after about 5-7 days. Anyway, my face passed muster at Fort Ticonderoga for the 250th F&I event but it wasn't good enough for Mr. Modern Glasses. That was enough for me to say stay away.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Reaction score
1300 dollars for my last eye exam and glasses….the cost for custom lenses into a pair of flimsy era correct frames to play in ain’t happening
Wow....
You need to check out Zenni or any of the other internet suppliers of glasses, I paid about $70.00 for prescription sunglasses with bifocals (liked them enough to buy a second pair to keep in another vehicle). Of course that will not help you with PC/HC glasses but you will save enough on your modern glasses to be able to afford the PC/HC ones.

Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but this just seems to be offered from such an arrogant and (pardon a currently overused term) privileged perspective, that I've got to wonder what the real point is. Surely there are a lot of people who want to do re-enacting but who can't afford all the little touches that you personally would like to impose. I should think that re-enactors would be more interested in attracting more participants with a reasonable approach than in imposing economic burdens that prohibit people from joining their games. I wonder if we compared your own outfit to one we could find in a museum, exactly how conforming it would be. Everyone draws lines in these sorts of circumstances and organizations. This seems a silly and unnecessary line to draw to the degree that's being proposed.

Of course, you could start your own organization and impose whatever stringent requirements you like. Nothing wrong with that. 😂
Well said....I often get criticized wearing the glasses I have for trek videos. I just can't justify $100's of dollars for a pair of glasses used several time a year.

Reaction score
Had to chuckle when I saw the topic. I've worn glasses since I was 5 (69 now) and when I got into the hobby, I purchased period appropriate frames and had my prescription lenses put in. There was a unit that was interested in recruiting me but the "leader" insisted I had to shave my face to become a member. I inquired as to why and he stated, with all authority, that ALL men shaved in the 18th century. I said I'd be OK with that if he got period correct frames for his eyeglasses. Well...you would have thought I'd just poked him in the eye. The reaction, and number of excuses as to why he wasn't able to do that was actually pretty funny. I never did join that group...

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Sorry for drifting off topic.
That's exactly one reason groups are suffering with new members.
Folks coming on board being criticized for nit picking stuff.
I'm not member of any group for that very reason.
I don't need the criticism.

Daveboone

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am a very savvy shopper, and have checked out all on line suppliers, optic shops, etc. I have worn glasses since first grade and am very particular on my fit and eye exams, having gone that route before. No one has been able to meet my expectations or the quality of a first rate eye exam /fitting except my local eye doc. Unlike many of my friends, family and older shooting acquaintances, I can read most anything and easily still focus on any open sight...even with a long rifle.

Reaction score
We go back to pre Roman times we find Arctic people made use of eye googles to prevent snow blindness.

In the cases of those Arctic "googles", they would have been carved from wood, and the "lens" would have been a narrow horizontal slit. So not the sort of "googles" that people think of today.

Reaction score
A great set of guidelines is listed here. This is from Minuteman National Historic Park, which puts on an excellent program every April called Battle Road, highlighting the running battle from Concord back to Boston, a lot of it on the original ground. The authenticity requirements are pretty high and are reviewed each year all based on extant research, a pre-event muster is held in the weeks before to make sure everyone is good to go.

This list covers just about everything head to toe (including eyewear for thread relevance) for both men and woman. While they are event guidelines and not group specific, I list it here as it could be a good resource for units as a guide to use!

Minute Man Living History Authenticity Standards for Adult Men - Minute Man National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Last edited:

sturmkatze

32 Cal.
Reaction score
1300 dollars for my last eye exam and glasses….the cost for custom lenses into a pair of flimsy era correct frames to play in ain’t happening
Certainly didn't cost me that. Don't reenact then. That's being too rude of me. Guy, a number of people have given you low cost options. Why not explore that? No one wants to run you off. It's a sore subject. As one gentleman said, he doesn't see the glasses on his own face. We all get that.

No one says to spend thousands in one go. Just keep improving. Glasses will do that.

To LRB, shades are really noticeable and detract from an impression. My roman group doesn't allow glasses at all -- this is helped because one of the leaders wears thick ones and can help others in how to deal with it. If you cannot, then pertussis it isn't the hobby for you. Not everyone can reenact. I renege one group had a couple of 400 pounders in motorized wheelchairs. How do you think that looked? Most visitors sort of said things behind their back. Sad.

I guess all I am saying is that for this time period, Eyewear is pretty easy. And, it isn't really the "stitch nazis" who get bent. I've find most of them, if you ask, are very willing to help.

All this takes time. It's best to check things out before you jump into an event. The list from the minute men group is pretty good, but strict, for their purposes. Sadly, a lot of their vendors are out of business. Maybe they have new ones.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is another thread called where do you draw the line.
Sometime I think one gets x and then feel superior, and can’t figure out why others don’t do the same thing.
But things they can’t do or haven’t done yet are ok to let pass.
Coat is 80-20 wool, can’t tell it from 100% wool, so it’s ok right?
My moccs have a replaced sole, not braintanned but veggi tan. Braintanned wears out faster then I can replace so that’s ok right?
Knifes not exactly 18th century but it’s a pinned handle and looks close, but hey, At least I don’t use a short starter.
All pewter buttons, lead free🤨 but that’s ok right
Machine sewn, except where stitching is exposed🤪
We all know none of us are 100%, but somehow you failures are always worse then mine. After all I can excuse my failures, but yours are a bridge to far.
In reality I have linen, linen cotton blend, and cotton linen look. And the fact is I can’t tell from feel or looks which is which. Is one ok, one sort of ok and one unacceptable?
I try to put an hc kit together. I’m 65 and my dream is to be perfect before I die. Next year better then last.
There was a wise man who once said something about getting the beam out of your own eye, before you worry about the mote in your brothers

Reaction score
Disregarding the stitch Nazi's, which in all my years if I did run into one I am sure I immediately dismissed and promptly forgot about.

Your either into the reenacting thing or your not.
You can start by spending very little and improve your kit as time goes on or find the level acceptable to you and there you are right where you are comfortable being.

As stated earlier, I have two pairs of PC/HC glasses and have less than $100.00 in either pair, my optician is also a shooter and can correct me to 20/15 (used to be 20/10) he can not get me to rapidly change focus from target to front sight to rear sight like I did when I was younger however.

I refuse to believe that if you want a pair of PC/HC glasses that you can afford all the other stuff involved in this sport (black powder, lead, cleaning rods, percussion caps (for those poor guys who don't own flintlocks) etc. etc.) but you can not scrape up $100.00 for a pair of glasses.

And I am OK with that, spend your money where ever you want but glasses are not that expensive.

Reaction score
Disregarding the stitch Nazi's, which in all my years if I did run into one I am sure I immediately dismissed and promptly forgot about.

Your either into the reenacting thing or your not.
You can start by spending very little and improve your kit as time goes on or find the level acceptable to you and there you are right where you are comfortable being.

As stated earlier, I have two pairs of PC/HC glasses and have less than $100.00 in either pair, my optician is also a shooter and can correct me to 20/15 (used to be 20/10) he can not get me to rapidly change focus from target to front sight to rear sight like I did when I was younger however.

I refuse to believe that if you want a pair of PC/HC glasses that you can afford all the other stuff involved in this sport (black powder, lead, cleaning rods, percussion caps (for those poor guys who don't own flintlocks) etc. etc.) but you can not scrape up $100.00 for a pair of glasses.

And I am OK with that, spend your money where ever you want but glasses are not that expensive.

Yeah, I think mine were just barley $70. I got a big ole grape for a head though, I wished I had spent a little more on my frames.

IMG_0219.JPG

RM

Reaction score
Yeah, I think mine were just barley $70. I got a big ole grape for a head though, I wished I had spent a little more on my frames.

View attachment 144864

RM

I suffer the same thing, big melon, the period glasses look comically small on my head. One of these days I'll get Lasik and not have to worry about dirty fingers during an event plucking contacts in and out.

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
My prescription lenses put into antique frames are still the least expensive glasses I own. The lenses really don't cost that much. A lense blank is a lense blank. There really isn't much "custom" about the job. A good eyeglass shop (not a box chain) should be able to do this quite reasonably.

Status
Not open for further replies.