• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Moden guns overpriced

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the isolation from the China virus has affected people's minds. I don't believe that discussing the inflation rate from 1792 till now is "Traditional" & that inflation calculators did not exist before 1865. Why is this allowed to go on!;)

Looking at the inflation figures i have to conclude today's muzzleloader makers are ripping us off. Aren't they?

No.

What you have to conclude, is that official government inflation figures are completely divorced from reality. Sort of like everything else.

Over time the cost of manufacturing things tends to come down with advancements in technology. Electrons are more efficient than workers' muscle power in driving machine tools. Computers are cheaper than drafters designing blueprints. Big heavy equipment extracting minerals run by petroleum products are more efficient than men with shovels. Advancements in bio-science increase yields. (In 1930 western Nebraska yields were about 25-30 bu./ acre. Today it's around 150.) Imagine how expensive a bushel of corn would be today if we used the same seeds and farmed the same way. In 1900 corn was $1.50 bu. Today it's around $5.00.

It's the advancement in energy sources that are largely correlated with jumps in world population as well. From wood to coal to petroleum products.

What was the $1.00 worth in 1929-30...?
Here's what it would buy............

My boss back in the early 1970's, who was 62 years old ten, related a short story to me during the Depression when he was a teenager. He picked up his girlfriend and they both took the street car from the County to the downtown City. They both saw a movie and split a large box of popcorn. They then walked across the street to a coffee shop and each had a cup of coffee and split a large roast beef sandwich. They then took the street car back to the County and he walked her to herr house. On his way home he stopped at the grocery store and picked up his Mom a dozen eggs and a carton of milk. He said the entire night cost $1.00. LOL

Rick

"This post is ridiculous. How long would it take you to make a quality rifle. Craftsmen a a limited and valuable breed. Pay them what they are worth or do it yourself snowflake"

As in the opera, the fat lady has sung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back