Mo spring

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
Your spring photo brings back memories.
I remember stopping at roadside springs in PA, filling up bottles, and taking them home and drinking the water.
Down in Texas, everything drains southward, so I don't drink anything that hasn't been processed.
Up in MO, are you able to safely drink from the springs, or do you add bug-killers?

Reaction score
I remember stopping at roadside springs in PA, filling up bottles, and taking them home and drinking the water.
Down in Texas, everything drains southward, so I don't drink anything that hasn't been processed.
Up in MO, are you able to safely drink from the springs, or do you add bug-killers?
In The Arkansas Ozarks, water can be very pure. The Missouri Ozarks are the same. I saw a stream fed pool in the northern part Arkansas where I could see every pedal at the bottom. The bottom turned out to be 30 feet deep.

Reaction score
I would feel as safe drinking from this spring as well water. But, I treat water when treking. Any ground water can have nasties in it.
This isn’t new. In the past beer was always preferred to water.

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
In The Arkansas Ozarks, water can be very pure. The Missouri Ozarks are the same. I saw a stream fed pool in the northern part Arkansas where I could see every pedal at the bottom. The bottom turned out to be 30 feet deep.
Clarity does not mean purity.

Unless coming straight from the spring out of the ground water in this country should be considered suspect. In many places even straight out of the ground there is not telling what chemicals or heavy metals may have leached into it.

Times have changed unfortunately. Humans can not "destroy the earth," but we can make it unlivable for ourselves.

Reaction score
ny ground water can have nasties in it.
Yes, true. My son is a doctor. He has practiced in Arkansas, Louisiana, Alaska, Missouri, Australia and New Zeland. He is certified in emergency medicine and has a side in wilderness emergency care. Additionally, he is a bit of an adventurer and has traveled extensively. He has climbed mountains, hiked in the Brooks Range of Alaska and more. I'm not saying he is the worlds expert on the subject but he certainly runs with the big dogs. He says there is no ground water anywhere on earth that is safe to drink directly. Even melting glaciers have small buggies that thrive being frozen for centuries. Treat/boil your water before drinking.

Reaction score
I would feel as safe drinking from this spring as well water. But, I treat water when treking. Any ground water can have nasties in it.
This isn’t new. In the past beer was always preferred to water.
Thats right. You have to boil water to make beer. Beer was the health drink of those times.

Reaction score
Isn’t beer classified as food?
Oh no. Beer is nectar, the drink of the Gods. You may have heard the Gods punished Prometheus for giving fire to the sons of men. But this was a mistranslation.
It was beer Prometheus stole from the Gods😊
In reality. There is a school of thought that wild grain beer was made in Anatolia before farming was invented . And it was the quest for the raw makings of beer that led to the invention of agriculture and hence civilization.
It truly is the gift of the Gods.

Latest posts