• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

MN Big Game regulations & ML

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For 2018, the Minnesota Big Game regs now read:

"Muzzleloaders (long gun or handgun) cannot be loaded at the breech (black
powder revolvers are not legal for taking big game if they are loaded through
the cylinder);"

"Smooth-bore muzzleloader used must be at least .45 caliber• Rifled muzzleloaders are at least .40 caliber"

Could be better phrased, but I feel this can be interpreted that my Ruger Old Army revolver is now legal for deer in Minnesota as long as I don't use a cartridge conversion cylinder.

Comments?

I would not think your Ruger Old Army revolver would be legal because you load it through the cylinder. Go to your Fish and Game office and ask them, get the right answer from the people that "should" know.

I am from Minnesota and I believe the intent of that wording is that revolvers are NOT legal. They probably would have been better to say that all arms need to be loaded through the muzzle or simply state that revolvers loaded directly into the cylinder are not legal.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Tried calling the Minnesota DNR, unsurprisingly it was very difficult getting an answer. The first contact person did their best to try and route my question, but didn't have anyone in the office with the knowledge.

In previous years the hunting regs said simply that black powder revolvers were not legal. I had thought with the description change I would see what you folks thought.

I'm not risking it, not worth the fallout.

Back