MLF System Generated Emails Not Working For Me

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by roundball, Jul 9, 2011.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 16, 2011 #41

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

You might try testing it now.

2. Aug 16, 2011 #42

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #43

Robby

Robby

Robby

62 Cal.

Just sent the word test, 30 seconds ago. Good luck!
    Robby

4. Aug 17, 2011 #44

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

Well, that's been a good half hour ago and nothing has shown up...

By contrast I had an advertisement from Track of the Wolf time stamped 7:40pm, long after you sent yours.

Thanks for testing as Claude needed to know...

5. Aug 17, 2011 #45

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

I just contacted a couple sellers at random through the Classifieds and they all received the email. I'm starting to wonder if it's not a problem with an ISP blocking the email and not with the Forum or Classifieds mail system?

6. Aug 17, 2011 #46

rabjr

rabjr

rabjr

Cannon MLF Supporter

I received your email Claude. :thumbsup:

7. Aug 17, 2011 #47

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

Earlier in the thread you had mentioned that the server(s) the MLF runs on had been hacked that resulted in something like that...and that the suppport staff was going back and having to manually re-establish things with various ISPs.

I don't want to 'publish' my Email address but if its convenient for you, could you send the domain name of my Email to the support staff so they can specifically check to ensure that particular ISP is reactivated?

8. Aug 17, 2011 #48

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Right now the forums mail server is not on any "black lists" for SPAM. If an individual's ISP is blocking or re-routing the forums mail, we have no way to know unless they bounce it back to us. Usually, when mail is rejected as SPAM by an ISP, it is bounced back to the sender with an error message and the reason it was bounced.

I'll see what we can learn from your ISP.

9. Aug 17, 2011 #49

Roundball, I don't know what your using, but why not just try a free email account from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, and see if that works for you? Sometimes it's easier to go with an alternative plan than beating ones head against a wall trying to fix something that doesn't work.

10. Aug 17, 2011 #50

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

Hope its not too much trouble...and I'll be suitably embarrassed if its something on my end...but as I've said before, all of a sudden I noticed the change.
    I'm still using the same Email address I've used for years...had made no changes to my profile...I get the same results on 3 different laptops, running WinXP or Win7, Browsers IE 7/8/9/ and Firefox, have nothing in my SPAM filter, use 2 different networks both hard wired and wireless, and have deleted cookies numerous times.
    Just don't know what else to do on my end.

11. Aug 17, 2011 #51

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

It's not your browser, computer, operating system or cookies.

I know it's a hassle, but I would try using one of the free email accounts like Hotmail, to try and isolate the problem. Get the free account, then change the email address in your Forum profile to the new address. If it works after doing that, that will help narrowed down where the problem is.

12. Aug 18, 2011 #52

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

Yes, that's probably more of a hassel than I want to take on because...and I'm only mentioning this as a matter of information...this is the only situation that's come up in the several years I've had this Email and ISP (AT&T)...Emails get to me from places all over, different countries, etc.
    If the MLF ISP Tech Supt folks can't figure this out from their end, know what to check, who to contact, etc...I'm sure not going to try and climb that mountain from my end
    :wink:

13. Aug 20, 2011 #53

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

Here's more information in hopes it'll help the MLF ISP Tech Supt staff figure out what's happening.
    It occurred to me rather than going through the hassle of getting a new Email account, I've done the following:

1) Temporarily registered as a new MLF member as roundball2 from my Wife's PC, from her Email address, etc...(same Email ISP as mine)...and never received the Email verification message back to her Email address from the MLF.
    Totally eliminates everything associated with my PC.

2) Temporarily registered as a new MLF member as roundball3 from my own PC but using my work Email address in my work's system / Domain to register with...different Email ISP totally.
    Then remoted in to my work Email and saw that the MLF verification Email went back to that Email address immediately.

So it definitely appears to be something to do with the relationship between my home/original Email ISP/Domain and the MLF Email system.

NOTE:
    Also wondering if my ISP/Domain is rejecting Emails from the MLF ISP/Domain, that those rejections should be coming back to the the MLF/ISP and somebody should be able to look/see them.

But if they're not being rejected back to the MLF ISP, then it makes me wonder if my Email ISP/Domain is being blocked inside the MLF/ISP so they never get sent out in the first place, and just end up in a bit bucket somewhere.

Anyhow, I'm out of ideas to troubleshoot further on this end...

14. Aug 20, 2011 #54

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

As I stated earlier...

The fact that the email isn;t bounced back to us 'suggests' that it is being received but perhaps it's being funneled into a black hole.

We're looking into your ISP, but you may want to contact them yourself considering that you are a client.

15. Aug 20, 2011 #55

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

I assumed that's who the MLF ISP Tech Supt would interact with, but if you'll send me the MLF ISP domain so I have something to work with, I'll be glad to send that to my ISP's Customer Service/Support section.
    The obvious problem might be if they start asking MLF ISP techie type related questions I won't be able to discuss it with them...but send me the info and I'll take that step.

16. Aug 20, 2011 #56

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

And in just checking my work Email I found my request for the account I wanted to set up for temporary testing has been denied...can't go any further with local trouble shooting in that direction.

So send me what you want me to send to my ISP and I'll get that done...

17. Aug 20, 2011 #57

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Muzzleloading Forum IP: 208.92.166.98

18. Aug 20, 2011 #58

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

AT&T ConnecTech Services
    1-888-905-2838
    Gerardo Martínez:

I checked the information you gave me, the provider looks like cPanel.com, a company that takes care of servers and platforms.
    We need to check the ports that they’re using for the Outlook settings, unfortunately I am not able to get them online.
    Could you give them a call to check the ports and domain to setup the outlook?
    =================================================

I tried...

19. Aug 26, 2011 #59

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

Any progress on this yet?

I learned some more stuff today...referred a friend to join the MLF...he tried to register 3 times and never got an Email acknowldegement back from the MLF.

His Email domain is @yahoo.com. ATT.net also hired Yahooo take over Email ISP responsibilities for them a few years ago, and Tahoo is my Email ISP, although my Email account domain remained as it always was back at the time of the take over...@bellsouth.net...it's actually been run by yahoo.com for all of AT&T / Bellsouth.net, etc.

So the problem appears broader than just me, and the common denominator would now seem to be the interaction between yahoo.com and the MLF Email ISP.

Thanks
    Hopefully that'll let your support techs zero in.

20. Aug 26, 2011 #60

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

That's correct. Yahoo is not accepting the same email that everyone else is accepting, but we cannot figure out why.