Mixing lead alloy with pure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
I got a pretty good score of 70 pounds of lead shot. I figure that'll last for a time.

But, I've also got over 50 pounds of lead alloy. I don't know the Brinell score, but I can LIGHTLY score it with my thumb nail.

Would it really be detrimental to throw say, 5 or 10 pounds, of alloy into the mix of the lead shot when I melt it? These will be for round ball, not bullets, so it'll still need to be soft.

satwel

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If the round balls are intended for a rifle, adding alloy to the pure lead could be a problem since the balls will be oversized and not as soft. You should be able to see the weave of the patch imprinted on the ball after it's loaded into the muzzle of a rifle. I maintain two supplies of lead, one is pure and one is wheel weights and/or recovered range lead. I cast balls for my smoothbores with the lead alloy since a harder, oversized ball doesn't matter. I keep the pure lead for rifle and minie balls. As an experiment, I once cast a few minie balls for my Civil War rifles from the alloyed lead. They were so oversized, I couldn't start them into the bore.

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
Most of us heavy casters have a lead hardness tester, take all the guess work out of it.
We cast everything form round ball to 540gr postel pills.

Reaction score
Birddog1911, where are you located? I’d gladly trade soft roofing lead for shot. I’ll bet you aren’t to far from someone who would trade unless you are really in the boondocks.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
I generally do what satwel described. While soft lead is best for rifles alloyed lead will work better than most think. Patch thickness may need adjusting although I used the same patches as always. I preferred alloy for smoothbore balls and had well over 100 lbs of WW and range lead. Ball will cast a little larger for sure but not by very much especially with the smaller calibers of rifles. My .600" smoothbore mold barely got to .605" or .606" and smaller balls would be much less than that in rifles. The ones I fired in rifles performed just fine. Still I had plenty of soft lead at that time and generally used that in rifles while WW+ alloys were used for the smoothbore.

User_Dan

40 Cal
Reaction score
20220609_204059.jpg

I too keep pure separate from alloy/range pickup. Pure for minies and alloy for round ball.

Latest posts