• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mixing Black Powder Test Results....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But what does it even mean? Anything? Hovey Smith's understudy. That's not a compliment.

Might be too much…. Any smokeless is too much.
However on black I do have some elephant and I do mix 1/2 cup in to 1 and a 1/2 cup GO and it shoots well 3f with 3 and 2f with 2.

Didn't watch the whole thing, no point. Smokeless and ml is a clear no-no. Mixing various black powders is, IMHO and experience, safe. Back in my serious 'X' hunting days I used powder from only the same lot productions as much as possible. When those supplies got low I would mix them with whatever else I had on hand (of course, bp only) and use for casual shooting and hunting. Might call the difference '9,s' and not '10X,s' but suitable for meat getting and killing paper.

Hovey Smith is a great muzzleloading experimenter who made
custom guns for hunting. Took muzzleloaders on safari in Africa.
He is a muzzleloader pioneer on youtube. Really a great humble
man who lives in Georgia. He has written books on muzzleloader
hunting and game preparation.

You can safely mix black powders. But consistency is lost.
I have used a lot of 4f in short barrel muzzleloaders & revolvers
as did the pioneers (called fine pistol powder). Gets max velocity
out of a short barrel. Look in the older black powder manuals.
You will see 4f charted for pistols. Never had a metal failure.
Also, you don't see semi-burned powder blasted out of the bore.
You also get good performance with lighter loads. Saves powder.
The use of smokeless is unnecessary and dangerous.

Back