• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

MISUNDERSTANDING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A dunce Dutch Schoultz most certainly is NOT. There is a lot to be learned from the man.
FRED S.
SEND ME AN EMAIL AT
[email protected].
I FINALLY FOUND SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME.
I'D LIKE TO SEND YOU MY BOOK OF JIBBERISH AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT AND I NEED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO SEND IT ON TO YOU.
DUNCE SCHOULTZ POSSIBLY

I APOLIGIZE. WHAT I WRITE COULD POSSIBLY BE JIBBERISH , YOUR SPELLING, I HAVE BEEN WRITING GIBBERISH, MY SPELLING, AND PUBLISHED IT BROADSIDE SINCE JANUARY OF 1983,
AND SOLD ABOUT 6500 TO 7000 BOOKS SIMPLY LEAKING GIBBERISH.
MY INTEREST HAS BEEN TO ENCOURAGE SOME OF THE ALLEGED THOUSANDS OF LURKERS WHO READ BUT WHO DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THE CONVERSATION OF THE FORUM.
A GOOD WAY TO DO THIS IS NOT TO ATTACK IDIOTS LIKE ME WHEN WE DISAGREE WITH THEM. JUST REMAIN SILENT AND TRUST FOLKS TO BE ABLE TO JUDGE THE DEGREE OF GIBBERISH THEY HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO.
COMMENTS LIKE YOURS MAY BR DED ON ACCURATE. BUT THE BULK OF OUR READERSHIP DIDN'T LIKE TO STAND UP AND SPEAK IN SCHOOL AND THISC SADLY SEEMS TO CARRY OVER TO THE STRENGTHOF MIND OR PERSONALITY TO BOLDLY POST AND RISK THE LAUGHING CRITICIZM THEY FEAR.
IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER TO POINT OUT THE THINGS THAT DIDN'T MAKE SENSE to you AND OFFER A BETTER VERSION IN A FRIENDLY WAY A PERSON MIGHT RESPOND TO A NEARLY BLIND OLD FART OF A NUMBER OF YEARS.
I'M SORRY I RESPONDED THE WAY I DID. IMAGINE THE TON OF APOLOGIES I MUST OFFER TO THE CONGREGATION FOR THE UNENDING TONNES OF JIBBERISH I HAVE INFLICTE UP ON THEM.

PLEASE DON'T RESPOND I'M NEAR TEARS AT THE BURDEN I FACE.
DUTCH SCHOULTZ

Dutch, don’t pay that Englishman any mind. I love reading your content. You’re a treasure to the muzzleloading community and we love having you here!

Dutch, don’t pay that Englishman any mind. I love reading your content. You’re a treasure to the muzzleloading community and we love having you here!
I HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION TO HIM AS HE HAS A VOTE SO TO SPEAK. HE USES IT TO BELITTLE PEOPLE WITH COMMENTS THAT SCARE AWAY POTENTIAL POSTERS. AND I SHOULDN'T HAVE RESPONDED SO BADLY.
WE GET A NUMBER MORE OF FIELD CRITICS AND WE'LL GET THIS FORUM CLOSED DOWN LIKE SO MANY OTHERS.

I FEEL HAVE THE RIGHT TO OBJECT TO STUFF THEY FIND INCORRECT BUT THEY HAVE TO DO IT IN A POSITIVE MANNER.
DUTCH SCHOULTZ

I HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION TO HIM AS HE HAS A VOTE SO TO SPEAK. HE USES IT TO BELITTLE PEOPLE WITH COMMENTS THAT SCARE AWAY POTENTIAL POSTERS. AND I SHOULDN'T HAVE RESPONDED SO BADLY.
WE GET A NUMBER MORE OF FIELD CRITICS AND WE'LL GET THIS FORUM CLOSED DOWN LIKE SO MANY OTHERS.

I FEEL HAVE THE RIGHT TO OBJECT TO STUFF THEY FIND INCORRECT BUT THEY HAVE TO DO IT IN A POSITIVE MANNER.
DUTCH SCHOULTZ

Exactly. I have no problems with someone disagreeing, but why do it in a rude manner?

We are all about having fun here enjoying our hobby and learning. No need for some to act meanly towards other members. If anything can be called dunce behavior, it’s that.

Exactly. I have no problems with someone disagreeing, but why do it in a rude manner?

We are all about having fun here enjoying our hobby and learning. No need for some to act meanly towards other members. If anything can be called dunce behavior, it’s that.

ON THE OTHER HAND NO ONE WOULD CAST ASPERSONS ON ANOTHER LIKE THAT UNLESS HE HAS SOLVED ALL THE PROBLEMS.HE SPEAKS FROM A PEDESTAL
OF RATHER IMPRESSVE ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND I FEEL THE QUESTIONS DIRECTED AT ME SHOULD MORE WISELY BE SENT TO HIM. LETS SHOW A LITTLE RESPECT.
I JUMPED THE GUN AND MISUNDERSTOOD HIS COMMENT WAS TO BE FOLLOWED WITH A CLEARER EXPLANATION OF WHY BENCH REST SHOOTING COULD ACTUALLY BE DONE IN THE WOODS. I HAVE ALREADY APOLOGIZED AND WOULD LIKE TO FORGET MYLACK OF UNDERSTANDING.
DUTCH

I agree Dutch. Bench shooting first, to remove as many variables and inconsistencies in shooting/form to develop "the load." I'm still working on it. My question, with today's VAST selection of available load variables(powder, patch, lube, ball) is, when do you STOP? I could keep trying new tweaks for years. Where does "good enough" and "THE load for my gun" intersect?

FWIW, 4 different patch lubes off the bench so far and your drylubed Ballistol:water method is as accurate as anything else I've tried. Less messy, easy to load. The only negative is, with my guns, swabbing between shits is mandatory.

FWIW, 4 different patch lubes off the bench so far and your drylubed Ballistol:water method is as accurate as anything else I've tried. Less messy, easy to load. The only negative is, with my guns, swabbing between shits is mandatory.

I concur, always an excellent idea to swab between them. Especially immediately after!

I agree Dutch. Bench shooting first, to remove as many variables and inconsistencies in shooting/form to develop "the load." I'm still working on it. My question, with today's VAST selection of available load variables(powder, patch, lube, ball) is, when do you STOP? I could keep trying new tweaks for years. Where does "good enough" and "THE load for my gun" intersect?

Ben,
I assume you have my book as that rash purchase includes coaching. A bit awkward of the internet but surprisingly effective.
Where does it stop?If youread the section about How It All Began you'll note how I stumbled on to the fact that only a compressed measurement is of any use when selecting shooting patch or, surprisingly, wiping patch material..
For powder charge 3fff or 2ff usually end up at the old timer's rule of a grain and a half per caliber. I found it usually a few grains above that. For both my .45 I ended up with 73 grains. I chose 2ff to ease my shoulder..
Then the patch lube system i developed to eliminate vertical strings of hits surprised me by giving me a simple way of increasing or decreasing the amount of lubricant is allow into the fabric.. As far as the ball size is concerned the largest you can load is best because it puts more lead in the rifling and there is lesser dependence of the shooting patch to keep the ball engaged in the bore/
If you are shooting a .50 caliber rifle try to use a .495 ball rather than a .490 ball.
I pretty much comes down to filling with your shooting patch's compressed thickness. I was surprised to see that an increase in compressed thickness of as little as .005 had a noticeable effect on target.
At the range, long before any thought of a book, I was usually able to improve ml riflemen's groups merely by increasing the compressed thickness of their shooting patch and maybe lessening the amount of goo they were using as a lube.
It's really not very hard. Once you have figured one rifle it gets easier with each subsequent rifle/ Providing the the barrels are in good condition.
Dutch Schoultz

Dutch, please ignore the sore butt from across the pond. You have worked tirelessly to promote muzzleloading.
Well, Thank you.
I also hope to sell my eBook in hopes of not having to eat my cat..
The gentleman from across the sea has a duplicate in Ogden, Utah
They feel they can rise only by tearing down others. They have the right to do so but it really damages the Forum I'm sure he'll come around
Dutch

Actually I would be very much interested in why the man was casting asparagus at Dutch. If he has better ideas He might put them forth rather than coming on vindictively. I don't understand his reasoning unless he is just a mean spirited man.

I did gain some knowledge with this thread this morning, and that was that all men from the British Isles and not gentlemen. Valuable to know.

Ha! Obviously, a typo. See, the letter I is right next to the O, and I have fat thumbs. I was gonna edit/fix it, but it IS kinda funny, so I'll just leave it there.

Sorry, had to...
Your misspelling speaks volumes as to my abilities when it comes to offhand shooting!
A good chuckle to start the day is never a bad thing.
Walk

Actually I would be very much interested in why the man was casting asparagus at Dutch. If he has better ideas He might put them forth rather than coming on vindictively. I don't understand his reasoning unless he is just a mean spirited man.

I did gain some knowledge with this thread this morning, and that was that all men from the British Isles and not gentlemen. Valuable to know.

The gentlemen of the British Isles have rules of behavior and some things are just not done.
The men who break these rules are not considered gentlemen.
My favorite Brit is Robin Hewitt, also a member of this forum who dabbles in cannons. I wish he would post more but very few of us have cannons to discuss
I think I will discontinue any further contemplation of this rather startling event. After so many years of undeserved praise It was rather jolt and my immediate reaction was just what I object to so I am no better and will feel some embarrassment.

I have been pleased with some of my threads and have decided to do another book based largely on them so I don't feel it would be worthwhile for Forum folk to read it. It will be free anyhow.
Dutch

I've never met anyone who didn't spend range time sighting a rifle. But I have met a LOT of hunters who don't spend near enough time standing up like a man to shoot in practice but then try it in a hunting situation. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

I've met people who went right from the gun shop to the deer stand. :eek: Scary as hell.

As far as "off hand" vs. "bench" goes, there shouldn't be much of a difference in your group size from one to the other. If there is then you are definitely spending too much time doing one and not enough time doing the other.
I was taught to practice like you plan to hunt.

I rarely bench a hand gun for sighting in, but I'm probably the exception to the norm.

When squirrel hunting with a muzzleloader, I look for anything I can to steady my shot so I can shoot them in the head if possible, Probably half or more of my shots are made without a rest because I'm usually walking.
Taking time to find a rest often gives away your position and spoils the shot.
You need to be able to do both or you hunt with a self-imposed handicap.

Last edited:
I've met people who went right from the gun shop to the deer stand. :eek: Scary as hell.

As far as "off hand" vs. "bench" goes, there shouldn't be much of a difference in your group size from one to the other. If there is then you are definitely spending too much time doing one and not enough time doing the other.
I was taught to practice like you plan to hunt.

I rarely bench a hand gun for sighting in, but I'm probably the exception to the norm.

When squirrel hunting with a muzzleloader, I look for anything I can to steady my shot so I can shoot them in the head if possible, Probably half or more of my shots are made without a rest because I'm usually walking.
Taking time to find a rest often gives away your position and spoils the shot.
You need to be able to do both or you hunt with a self-imposed handicap.
I'M OFF TO DIAYSIS I'LL COME HOME AROUND 5 PMWITH A MUCH REDUCED WATER CONTENT, SPARKLING CLEAN BLOOD AND THE STRENGTH OF A GARDEN SLUG AND HOPE YOU ALL ARE STEEPED IN THE GOOD FEELING OF THE SEASON.
I INTEND TO SPEND TOMORROW CHOPPING ONIONS WITH A LIGHT SPRINKLE OF JALAPE˜NOS.
DUTCH

NO I WAS MARRIED ONCE AND HAD MY DUNCITUDE POINTED OUT FREQUENTLY FOR 13 YEARS. THE WISE MAN OF SUSSEX MUST BE RIGHT. OUT GOALS ARE FIFFERENT AS I WANT TO ENCOURAGE LURKERS TO COME JOIN US AND TELL THEIR STORIES.
DUTCH
Dutch - you are appreciated for wanting to bring others to the conversations. And hope you are ready for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Back