• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Missouri... anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need some advice. Me and my lady are Contemplating on buying land in Missouri… I’ve been all over the us and our main issues are that the ground is so dang rocky. Been to Idaho, Montana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas etc.. etc.. and our main issue is so much ROCK! We plan to continue our homesteading lifestyle. Growing our own food and raising animals for food and eggs. If you have ever pulled a plow (tractor or mule) through rocky A$$ ground you know how much it sucks. Can anyone tell me a good area of the state to look for land? Looking for at least 15 acres. Our only must have’s are a good source of water. And LOTS of trees. As I am an arborist tree climber by trade and plan to build a dovetail log cabin. I’ve had practice building a cabin on our 2 acres in Alaska I bought a few years ago. But the winters up there are NO JOKE. Pretty Crazy how tight the growth rings in the trees arewith such short growing seasons. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as far as areas and your personal knowledge of the state. Thanks all

Hey Ryan good to hear from you do you go to the Pigeon Hill range I was going about ever other week until deer season started haven't been but once since.

Hey there! It's been ages since I went to Pigeon Hill--although my house is close enough to it I can hear them shooting at clear/crisp days with some south wind. The area I hunt (about 60 acres) is about a 5 minute 4-wheeler ride from my house and I usually can hear them on southern wind days. That said, it's only a 10 minute drive from my house to Pigeon Hill, so I could easily make the trip! I won't get into stories but I've seen some pretty unsafe shooting there that made me pack up.

I have about 25 acres to shoot on around my house though (I don't hunt this part to appease the wife, so it's a sanctuary for deer unless they make a mistake and decide to travel a few hills over to my hunting area!). So I target/clay shoot in my backyard usually.

That's awesome wish I had some land to hunt on like that but I waited to long to get some so Ive been hunting the public land up by Smithville Lake. I know what your talking about some of the folks at the range that's why I get there early and leave when a lot of people start showing up.

Missouri's got about any sorta ground depending on what you're willing to pay. Cropland here (N.E. Missouri) is running $5K acre west of the Mississippi for large tracts. Small acreages cost more per acre. Just across (Illinois) - double, sometimes triple that.

Closer to urban areas - St. Louis, K.C., Springfield - prices go up. Most with trees will be 2nd growth or brush. LOTS of public conservation areas, boat ramps, etc. throughout the state. Missouri Dept of Conservation has excellent services - private land section outstanding with maps of timber, etc. Check out their website.

Anything close to large lakes will be expensive and, since the lakes are dammed up streams, "hill ground" around them will probably be rocky (there are exceptions). Every county has a soil & water agent (s) assigned - another good source for info & help.

We got lots of trees. Need more coon hunters.

Missouri's got about any sorta ground depending on what you're willing to pay. Cropland here (N.E. Missouri) is running $5K acre west of the Mississippi for large tracts. Small acreages cost more per acre. Just across (Illinois) - double, sometimes triple that.

Closer to urban areas - St. Louis, K.C., Springfield - prices go up. Most with trees will be 2nd growth or brush. LOTS of public conservation areas, boat ramps, etc. throughout the state. Missouri Dept of Conservation has excellent services - private land section outstanding with maps of timber, etc. Check out their website.

Anything close to large lakes will be expensive and, since the lakes are dammed up streams, "hill ground" around them will probably be rocky (there are exceptions). Every county has a soil & water agent (s) assigned - another good source for info & help.

Thank you for the info

That's awesome wish I had some land to hunt on like that but I waited to long to get some so Ive been hunting the public land up by Smithville Lake. I know what your talking about some of the folks at the range that's why I get there early and leave when a lot of people start showing up.

I hear you there. Well, I'd be open to meeting up some time if you wanted to shoot--let me know what days/times you are typically free. I'm 45, married with two kiddos-so I have to plan most stuff--although it's a bit easier now that one is off to college :).

Good advice here. Live on about 25 acres in NW Missouri and it's about 8kish an acre depending on how close to town (I live in Saint Joseph). Platte City area is more $$ yet due to proximity to Kansas City.

The NE Missouri area has some great hunting areas. Buddy bought a farm up there and put a small RV style cabin up there to hunt on--he's always pulling some great deer/turkey.

Latest posts

Back