• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Missouri... anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's right: it is called Squaw Creek, no matter what the politically correct wants to call it. Watch the water up there, can get high quick.
Yeah, I hear you on the water level. Those floods ate up Rt. 159 and Rt. 111 really quickly. Thankfully, my farm sits just up the bluff hill a little ways, which saved it from the rising waters. It didn't make accessing the place any easier, as I had to cut the other way through Oregon when the water dropped enough to go that way.

You know what's funny? I was stationed in Nevada (followed by Ohio) when the whole Squaw Creek name change happened and was caught completely off guard when I got back to Nebraska. I was looking for snow goose counts before the Spring conservation season opened and kept seeing "Loess Bluffs NWR" come up, but couldn't find Squaw Creek. It took me a while to realize that it was the same place. What drove the name change anyway?

What drove the name change anyway?

In the state of Missouri we have these degenerates that have to be politically correct. It was afraid that a native American would be offended. It is Squaw Creek to the old residenters and will remain so in the real world. The battle isn't over yet on the name change.

In the state of Missouri we have these degenerates that have to be politically correct. It was afraid that a native American would be offended. It is Squaw Creek to the old residenters and will remain so in the real world. The battle isn't over yet on the name change.
If that's the case, I can definitely believe we have a politically correct contingent in MO, but part of me thinks that the pressure was exerted from further out. As a well-known National Wildlife Refuge (BBC did a special on it), I'd imagine there was a lot of banter from leftists all over the country to change the name. Heaven forbid we have something named after the people who probably frequented the creek. While we're at it, let's remove the word "Mormon" from anywhere in the US it's used to denote an area where those folks lived. They might find that offensive. We're living in crazy times.

No kidding? I live only about 15 minutes from Offutt AFB. When I get back from my current deployment, we'll figure something out.
We are probably neighbors. I’m 15 min south of Offutt near Plattsmouth. AF retiree. Be well. Let’s hook up when you return. Plenty of black powder shooters here. I’m trying to find a few down around St Joe.

We are probably neighbors. I’m 15 min south of Offutt near Plattsmouth. AF retiree. Be well. Let’s hook up when you return. Plenty of black powder shooters here. I’m trying to find a few down around St Joe.
Sounds good! I've got about 15 lbs. of FFg and a bunch more of FFFg that needs my attention and an ignition source. We'll burn some coal. I just renewed my ENGC membership, as well.

Last edited:
Hi again to the KCMO area muzzleloader folk. I goofed yesterday when Jonathan introduced himself in the "Welcome to the Camp" forum. I just saw instructions in this forum which state, (Introductions only - Do Not post questions here). I think this Midwest forum might be the place to pick up on my question to you gents.

Here is what I wrote last about possibly getting together in our Northland area of KCMO:
Four and counting...see what you started, Jonathan?
OK. Three locations are known so far, and somewhat centrally located at the moment is Smithville. Anyone like Iceman's idea? Not necessarily to "start our own club," which I guess could come about. Maybe a breakfast or lunch to at least meet and share ML interests and what we like about our BP journeys, etc.? Also interesting that the mix includes three relative newbies to ML. Might be an event.
:)

Is there any interest? I like Iceman's suggestion....
Have a good day.

wiksmo

So i am not new to firearms, but I am to muzzleloaders. And being a gunsmith, I need to find out more info to better server my customers.

I hope to read through here and maybe find some other gun guys in my area.
Have a great day.

Welcome aboard. I'm a relative new guy here too. Learning a lot from this place and these great people. I'm in the Smithville area.

We probably have enough Muzzle Loader shooters in the Northland to start our own club:rolleyes:

Had no idea there were so many ML in the KC area above the river. I live in the Excelsior Springs area. My brother is also a gunsmith, shoots SASS and specializes on cowboy guns.

[

Yeah, this would be a better thread than the intro thread to chat about a KCMO group of muzzleloaders. Let's stick with this spot.

My suggestion. Not heard anything further from Jonathan....probably busy as many folk are. How about we wait a while, and say later this week I check this thread again and see if he or others chime in? At that time, we could chat about a "trio get together." Sound okay to you gents? I'm willin' to keep the ball rollin' on this...

A small KCMO ML Club sounds :cool: the more we talk about it.

wiksmo

Probably get more traction here for at least impromptu get togethers and maybe if we have enough people interested maybe some sort of club?

@PineyCreek I am willing to commit to a get together of some kind around the Smithville area. I'm sure there would be others in the area interested. Piney Creek

My Family starved out in Alton, Oregon county, Mo. late in 1940....moved to Oklahoma, got the wrinkles out of our bellies, Ended up out in The oil patch of Texas. Still enjoy visiting The Show-Me State.

There are lots of us here including much of the membership of the Gemmer Club.
MO is a largish state. What part are you located in. I no longer shoot, just coach as my vision has faded but there should be a bunch. Missouri was the home of the Hawken Rifle. I am sure you will be welcomed

Dutch Schoultz[/QUOTe

I live in SW Missouri, and only know of 3 or 4 guys that even own traditional muzzleloaders. Virtually no interest in anything but in-lines, for deer hunting. A simple, cheap means to an end.
I obviously do not know every traditional ML shooter in the region, but I can tell you there are earned few of us.

Back