Missing North Carolina...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
I live in the little town of Tar Heel and now the home of the worlds largest hog slaughtering plant in the world. The whole demographics has changed, hard to describe what hog poop has attracted. Most people now call it Pigfoot instead of Tar Heel. That is what people call progress these days.

Reaction score
I am in a sleepy town just outside of Clayton. Got about 2.5 wooded acres and a modest Home. I too like many came here because of the overbearing taxes and Regs......Do miss the water Gap Area and Sussex County in general. Thousands of Acres of federal Land. I have gone out there in the middle of winter and it could be right out Jeremiah Johnson to be by yourself in the middle of it is awesome. Most do not think of NJ that way but there are some incredible parts. NJ is only 8k Square miles whereas NC is 52k Square miles. The good thing about NC is that the people are still in Control through the vote..but I can see that changing much to the chagrin of those that have lived here their whole lives. I did not bring any baggage down...lord knows on how our little red northwest county struggles this day to survive in its ideals.. I have been to the West in NC and the the Coast. Stayed in Macon County in a B&B last October and I have to tell ya it was sweet Country. It would suit me fine but the Wife needs a little bit more nearby. All in All we are glad we are here.

Snake Pleskin

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I lived there for a year, in Winston-Salem. Spent a month in a tent by Grandfather Mountain up in Boone/Banner Elk. Hiked some of the AT. Spent about two weeks driving and camping around Asheville, Boone, Cherokee...
Now I live in Arizona. I love it here, but man I miss those dense green woods and running creeks!
I'm in the White Mountains, so we do have a good amount of wilderness, just something about North Carolina. Maybe the remedy is scheduling some historical trekking thataway in the future, during summers.
I lived in North Scottsdale for 12/13 yrs. The desert is a terrain that takes getting used to. My wife loved the heat and wide open spaces, the desolate vastness etc., where you can literally see horizon to horizon. Being an old Penna boy, I missed hills, greenery and trees! I am now in SC (5 yrs) and getting used to it. The humidity can sometimes be really annoying. There are days when you change clothes three times because you sweat through everything, but, it is what it is. I do love the trees & greenery!

Snake Pleskin

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in a sleepy town just outside of Clayton. Got about 2.5 wooded acres and a modest Home. I too like many came here because of the overbearing taxes and Regs......Do miss the water Gap Area and Sussex County in general. Thousands of Acres of federal Land. I have gone out there in the middle of winter and it could be right out Jeremiah Johnson to be by yourself in the middle of it is awesome. Most do not think of NJ that way but there are some incredible parts. NJ is only 8k Square miles whereas NC is 52k Square miles. The good thing about NC is that the people are still in Control through the vote..but I can see that changing much to the chagrin of those that have lived here their whole lives. I did not bring any baggage down...lord knows on how our little red northwest county struggles this day to survive in its ideals.. I have been to the West in NC and the the Coast. Stayed in Macon County in a B&B last October and I have to tell ya it was sweet Country. It would suit me fine but the Wife needs a little bit more nearby. All in All we are glad we are here.
I live in SC and also like NC. When I was thinking of moving I actually looked at NC first. However , the changing political climate in NC made me choose SC. I think NC is going Blue, with the influx of Liberals into the coastal areas $$, and the "Triangle" for technology, business etc. I see the changes each year in what they vote for. I could be wrong, but I hope it does not impact you and yours too much! I also lived in North Brunswick, NJ for years. There are many beautiful areas in western NJ that people would be surprised to know even exist!

Reaction score
I grew up in NJ and hunted north west jersey, south Jersey, and Northeast Jersey. Had to get out couldn't take the overcrowding, stifling laws, etc. The furthest I got was the Poconos. Lucked out surrounded by watershed property, and state game lands. Plenty of trout creeks and lakes. My only problem with fishing the nearby creeks are the bears. The don't bring a fishing pole and expect me to give them my fish!