• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Misaligned percussion hammer - can this be fixed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onojutta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy this 10 gauge percussion "fixer upper" shotgun for a pretty good price. One of the hammers is misaligned, as shown in the picture. Any idea if this might be a simple fix? I do not have access to the gun to take apart the lock or do any further examination, just the pictures.

20200910_173036.jpg

And Dixie gun works offers replacement hammers as well.
An example
HP5015 Hammer - Percussion 1 5/8" Throw (Left Hand)

Last edited:
I agree with hawkeye2, looks to be a replacement. I have several ML shotguns and a few have mis-matched hammers, but they work. You can heat and bend them slightly, but not that much.

I have an opportunity to buy this 10 gauge percussion "fixer upper" shotgun for a pretty good price. One of the hammers is misaligned, as shown in the picture. Any idea if this might be a simple fix? I do not have access to the gun to take apart the lock or do any further examination, just the pictures.

View attachment 43954
As suggested by others, getting a replacement is the way to go. If you can't find one, just heat it up cherry red and bend it. The color may very well end up slightly different. Gun shows, are another good source for a hammer.

Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

Thanks all, now that I look closely at the picture, it does appear that the hammers are different. I have no idea why someone would put the wrong hammer on it, other than perhaps it was missing altogether and they threw one on just to get it sold. 🤔

A while ago I was gifted a lefty flintlock minus lock, screws and side plate. I made up cereal box cutouts to fit the lock and side plate inlets. Sent these to Track of the Wolf, who sent back a lock, side plate and screws that were pretty close, needing only a little wood removal for the lock and a bit of filing on the plate.

Suggest you remove the good hammer, photo copy, and send copy to Track, Dixie, etc.

a torch, apply heat and it can be bent into the rear, to make it come into contact with the nipple. ask any blacksmith.

a torch, apply heat and it can be bent into the rear, to make it come into contact with the nipple. ask any blacksmith.
A kit I build back in the late 70's had this in the instructions if the hammer did not quite fit right. Use a box end wrench to bend it. Works like a charm, but might take a couple of tries. Take the hammer off the lock first.

What does the other hammer look like?

I am assuming that the two hammers do not match each other. If this is an issue for you, then you are going to need to find a pair of replacement hammers so that they match.

If you dont care that they do not match, then you can always heat the hammer and bend it. If it does not turn out the way you want, then you can always fit a replacement.

I am assuming that this is your first hammer replacement/fix, hence the question. A replacement hammer might not have a hole cut in it to fit the stud. That is good in IMO so that you can properly time the lock.

Fleener

If you try to Bend the hammer to fit make sure you get it a good bright red. When you have it aligned correctly the hammer will not hit the nipple squarely. This can be fixed by putting a thin brass "plug" between the hammer and nipple. Heavily"tin" the plug on the hammer side and flux the hammer, and set it against the nipple and heat enough to solder the plug in place. The pressure from the mainspring will align the plug square.

Look for a hammer with a shorter throw, that one has a long way to go to work.
Check the hammer screws threads too, they’re probably metric.
One of my 130 yr old Belgian clunkers had the same problem, one hammer backed out every shot, two shots and the screw hit the dirt. Someone had replaced the hammer and screw with the wrong threads.
It’s all fun if the price ain’t too high

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like a big difference to make up with a bend, so I would likely replace both hammers so they match.

Seller wants $300 which I think is a good price for an original 1870s Hollis but it needs some stock work and a new ramrod also.

Back