• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Miquelet blunderbus build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curator

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought some on here would be interested in my 1650 Catalan miquelet blunderbus I have been working on over the past few years. It is slowly coming together. It is .77 caliber and about 30 inches over all.
IMG_1944.jpg
IMG_1943.jpg

Looking great, I can't get enough of these blunderbusses for whatever reason. It'll be a while before I build one myself (too many other competing projects & priorities on my time) but I sure enjoy seeing what other folks are doing with them.

I built the lock from The Rifle Shoppe #505 cast parts over about a year of fussing, filing, and fitting. Not to mention spring tempering, screw-making, tapping and threading. This was my second miquelet project, and now that I am officially retired it is making good progress. I have built at least 20 other locks from rough castings the miquelet is no more difficult than regular flintlocks, maybe a tad easier.

In general, miquelets are good sparkers if the frizzen is correctly hardened. The Rifle Shoppe's frizzens are the perfect alloy to harden correctly. I use recycled flints in my miquelet and Jacobian locks because I am cheap, and they work fine. With this one, I added a roller on the cock-toe because it was a bit "lazy."

Having become a genuine Floridian, and a historian, I have been aware of the Spanish influence on my State's history. Unfortunately, the period correct miquelet muskets and escopeta of the two Spanish colonial periods are not available as reproductions. So, I built my own.

I am down to ramrod pipes and stock finishing. Would you like me to post pictures of my progress or the finished blunderbuss?

Here it is semi-finished. I am considering browning the barrel. I realize the originals had no metal finish whatsoever but the barrel is way to shiny for my taste. What do you think?

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

I think I would like it any way you finish it.

Shot it yet?

William Alexander

Personally I wonder if these guns were finished more often than we think.

I was readong Lavan (author of history of spanish firearms) and he states that early guns were "blackened" but goes onto state he thought this meant shiny. I just don't take it especially when most armor was blued (fired or rust).

I debate this myself with some of my projects in this era and am leaning toward rust bluing.

I have been using Pinkerton's Classic American rust blue for years. Brownells has just shipped me another bottle. To use it, you must properly degrease the parts, and use gloves to handle, but it does not have the problems some experience with LMF rust brown/blue.

Curator, not sure where you are at here in Florida, but there is a builder in the Lake City area who does a lot with the Escopeta's and Miquelete builds. Look up Deep Creek Dale here on this site.

Hi Curator

Nice job. I've always liked the Catalan style guns. It's amazing how long the blunderbuss remained popular in Spain as a personal protection weapon. Up to the mid-1800's from what I've read and examined specimens.

And speaking of miquelet locks, I'm still trying to get a local guy near me - that already makes a regular mainspring vise - to make me a proto-type vise for use with miquelet locks. Haven't been able to get him to start for a year and a half now. Think I'll try one more time and then move on.

Again. nice job. Should be fun to shoot.

Rick

Back