• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

minuteman refinish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brians306

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have this old Hopkins and Allen minuteman. the bluing is wearing off it seems. I want to brown the barrel what is a good way to get the old finish off the barrel. Thanks

I’ve used a wire wheel on a bench grinder before. It can be kind of aggressive. I use a buffing wheel with jewelers rouge afterwards. This will make it a bright finish though. If you’re going for the brushed look, omit the buffing wheel. You could use steel wool and a heck of a lot of elbow grease if you wanted to, or didn’t have access to a bench grinder. I’m sure there’s some chemicals out there that could help you, but I’ve never used them. Good luck!

You will need to polish your barrel white, navy jelly will work but slow.
For browning 220 sand paper is all you need.
Be sure to use a block so you don’t round edges
Then brown choice.
Hot brown needs you to warm the barrel up to 280-300, the brown sizzles when added and really stinks. Not a job to do if the Mrs is home
Cold brown is added and buffed. Both produce good looking results but it’s hard to get hot even.
Both are tough, but I THINK cold is a little tougher.
Laurel Mountian makes a cold brown I really like. It is super important to follow the directions. You dampen your applicator, and go just one direction. You never wipe backwards and you don’t start in the middle of a pass. If you break those rules it turns a copper color. I know!
If you live in a dry area you want to increase the humidity. Run a shower then shut the door and hang barrel from a shower rod, or build some wire frames from old hangers and drape those around the barrel, just don’t let them touch.
If your east of the Great Plains you don’t need this
It takes around a week and about three days to finely get the process stopped

Latest posts

Back