• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minnie bullets in .58 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Minnie bullets in their .58 caliber? mine has a 1-48 twist. I understand you may not want to go over 60 grains or so or you may damage the skirt, thus affecting accuracy. I strictly night hunt for big trophy dominant 7 yr old hogs. my 2 set ups are set at 12 yards and 15 yards. I rarely ever shot to 25 yards as I get pretty close. what I like about the Minnie is they are heavy I found one 610 grains its sized to .577 and im assuming once the powder is ignighted the skirt will expand to barrel diameter. I have not used a dial caliper yet to see what dimensions im dealing with. I found some 12.00 for 25 any opinion is appreciated

Minnies are designed to work in shallow rifling and usually the rifling in a gun intended to shoot patched round balls is too deep for them to seal effectivly. What is important is a close fit to the bore, .002" or less and good lube. I recomend you slug your bore and size the mini accordingly. 1 in 48" is a little fast for a mini but with a little time on the bench you should find a load that'll work. With enough powder you can get one to expand but your accuracy will go to pieces. 60 grains was the service charge and if you can get the ball to hit where you point it it'll do the job. In fact 50 grains of 2f will more than do what's needed.

The .577 Enfield Short Rifles had a 1 in 48 twist. As Hawkeye says above though, pitch of rifling is not the whole story and form of rifling also needs to be considered. I think the service charge of 60 grains was for the Springfield - for the Enfield it was about 68 grains. I’m shooting an RCBS Minie with 80 grains Swiss No. 4 (1.5Fg) from my original Short Rifle and I use it for target shooting to 600 yards, once in a while 800 yards.

David

There y'are! The Swiss DO make a 1.5Fg after all......and yes, the service load for the Enfield was 2 1/2 drams - 68.5gr. 60gr is also correct for the Springfield.

The Original Minnie Ball had a pointed tip..., you might want to reconsider using that especially when you're so close, over a patched round ball. If you're worried about penetration at that distance with a round ball, you might look into an alloy and a thinner patch. OR at least go with one of the "improved" Minnie ball shapes. Here's why:

“It is, moreover, found that the slightest obstruction of bone or sinew, or even muscle, meeting obliquely a pointed cone [minie ball] passing through an animal, is apt to turn it from its course, and frustrate the aim of the sportsman. The bones escape unbroken, and the ball merely makes an eccentric flesh wound, harmless at the time, although it may eventually cause the death of the animal. It was from observing constant instances of such wounds that I first began to doubt the advantages of the pointed form for sporting projectiles; I have seen such a ball strike a tiger between the eyes, and cut a groove over the top of his head, making its exit at the nape of the neck, with no other effect but that of temporarily stunning him. I have seen another glance from the ribs of a “neilgae” [nilgai], pass over his chest, and lodge in the opposite side of his body. Indeed, there is no end to the instances I might give, from the experience of myself and my friends. “ James Forsyth The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectiles (1867)

Forsyth was an avid fan of the patched round ball, and the nilgai is a huge creature that can reach as much as 600 lbs. so for him to side with a .58 caliber round ball over a .58 Minnie ball, is pretty dramatic. He also liked even bigger round ball, such as .69 caliber rifles or larger, but for your hogs I don't think you'd need a rifle of that large a caliber.

LD

The Original Minnie Ball had a pointed tip..., you might want to reconsider using that especially when you're so close, over a patched round ball. If you're worried about penetration at that distance with a round ball, you might look into an alloy and a thinner patch. OR at least go with one of the "improved" Minnie ball shapes. Here's why:

“It is, moreover, found that the slightest obstruction of bone or sinew, or even muscle, meeting obliquely a pointed cone [minie ball] passing through an animal, is apt to turn it from its course, and frustrate the aim of the sportsman. The bones escape unbroken, and the ball merely makes an eccentric flesh wound, harmless at the time, although it may eventually cause the death of the animal. It was from observing constant instances of such wounds that I first began to doubt the advantages of the pointed form for sporting projectiles; I have seen such a ball strike a tiger between the eyes, and cut a groove over the top of his head, making its exit at the nape of the neck, with no other effect but that of temporarily stunning him. I have seen another glance from the ribs of a “neilgae” [nilgai], pass over his chest, and lodge in the opposite side of his body. Indeed, there is no end to the instances I might give, from the experience of myself and my friends. “ James Forsyth The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectiles (1867)

Forsyth was an avid fan of the patched round ball, and the nilgai is a huge creature that can reach as much as 600 lbs. so for him to side with a .58 caliber round ball over a .58 Minnie ball, is pretty dramatic. He also liked even bigger round ball, such as .69 caliber rifles or larger, but for your hogs I don't think you'd need a rifle of that large a caliber.

LD
thank you sir, as stated n the hunting forumn I have no penetration issues with my .58 on the big hogs, more of a .54 thing that im not getting pass throughs. I seen the minnies are relatively cheap so my mind started thinking.. ive got a renegade .54 that im gonna have mr. Hoyt rebore to .58 and possibly a roundball twist. im still debating as I have some .58 maxi-balls. that .58 really likes the Hornady roundballs and the speer .570 in both with a .018 patch it really likes 80 grains of Olde eyensford 3F

Minnies are designed to work in shallow rifling and usually the rifling in a gun intended to shoot patched round balls is too deep for them to seal effectivly. What is important is a close fit to the bore, .002" or less and good lube. I recomend you slug your bore and size the mini accordingly. 1 in 48" is a little fast for a mini but with a little time on the bench you should find a load that'll work. With enough powder you can get one to expand but your accuracy will go to pieces. 60 grains was the service charge and if you can get the ball to hit where you point it it'll do the job. In fact 50 grains of 2f will more than do what's needed.
thank you Mr. Hawkeye

Back