• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minnie Ball Transport

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
how do yall carry the minnie balls to the range? is there a ammo box size that would work or something similar?

Ours are transported as loaded ammo but we store them in snap closed plastic boxes with the dividers removed. If you line your storage/transport box with tin foil they'll be easier to clean. You might find a pistol ammo box with compartments large enough to hold individual minies but then you would have a difficult time getting ahold of each mini to get it out and the lube makes them stick to everything. I'd probably get so frustrated I would dump them all out on the bench.

how do yall carry the minnie balls to the range? is there a ammo box size that would work or something similar?
Scrap block of 2 x 4
Drill press -
I cast and hand dip - set in the block.
I can put several blocks in the bottom of my shooting bag, refill as needed.
Easy to use - no mess dispenser.
20201227_114938.jpg

The tubes that RjSixgun (above) has mentioned are what we used when I shot with the N-SSA. Mine held .35 gr.s FFFg and the lubed minis. If you need some, I have plenty and don't shoot minis anymore.

ADK Bigfoot

The tubes that RjSixgun (above) has mentioned are what we used when I shot with the N-SSA. Mine held .35 gr.s FFFg and the lubed minis. If you need some, I have plenty and don't shoot minis anymore.

ADK Bigfoot
Yep every N-SSA member uses them!! I think we are the only people that even know what they are or how to find them!!
Heck we even have them for our revolvers!

For mine ball transport go to your local Clinlab ( where they take your blood samples ) & they have foam trays about 8'' square which hold 100 viles & they throw them away. Easily cut to fit inside a more eye pleasing container. I also use them for pre-measured shotgun powder charges & shot, 25 powder & 25 shot

Attachments

• 20201228_210510.jpg
    20201228_210510.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 20201228_210515.jpg
    20201228_210515.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 20201228_210545.jpg
    20201228_210545.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 20201228_210529.jpg
    20201228_210529.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 151
Folded cardboard in 45 degree waves, in a pan. Use a single piece of cardboard underneath that the wave piece is glued to. Put a piece of plastic over it for greased bullets.

That way they're easy to pick up rather than pulling relatively short bullets out of holes.

That is pretty slick, and could be adapted to fit any size container, even adding levels. I envision a plastic snap lid box lines thusly. I just thought of using plastic corrugated material, like yard sign stuff, lord knows I have a ready supply that.

Last edited:
I make up a wood block with holes sized to hold the paper cartridges I make up then put them into a cigar box to take to the rangeView attachment 56306
The holes in such a loading block should be about 1/8" larger than the diameter of the bore. You want the finished cartridges to easily slide into the holes. For my block for the Long Land Pattern Musket with the 0.770" bore, I drilled 7/8" holes.

Nice block @ZUG.

544BEFC1-65CF-4333-89C3-08E70E089B4C.jpeg

This is how I transport my competition ammo. Red tubes are charged with powder and plugged with a minie and then the minie is dip lubed on the exposed base. The container came from Dollar General for $3 and is water tight and holds 32 rounds. At a Skirmish, I just transfer what I need to my cartridge box.

Back