• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minnie Ball Stuck 1861 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Minies being used in the Civil War were likely the proper size though.

The ".575" Minies people buy from Dixie, etc are anywhere from .575 to above .580 and the average guy who bought a repro rifle musket doesn't know anything about sizing or have a means to do so.

Yep, some are afraid of the powder. Keep the gun pointed down range with body parts away from the bore.

Last edited:
The Minies being used in the Civil War were likely the proper size though.

The ".575" Minies people buy from Dixie, etc are anywhere from .575 to above .580 and the average guy who bought a repro rifle musket doesn't know anything about sizing or have a means to do so.

And that RIGHT THERE is the reason for so much garbage information floating around.

I still don’t know whether to laugh or cry at this thread. I guess that I read it to marvel at the sheer stupidity of some who have posted answers and solutions. This has become a comedy that I see every morning. I think that I am out of this forum. Good riddance.
If you take yourself so seriously that you have no sense of humor and despise others comments, then I, too, will say "good riddance". The forum is better for your absence.

Nine solid pages so far. So far I've read page one and page nine, or parts therof. Is it out yet? Good thread, keep it going. Smile......

Oh, okay I just went back and read where it's out. Good Job! Party time!

when-i-see-drama-im-not-involved-in-popcorn-meme.png

1.Hell, I would use a range rod (or something similar) and a common steel hammer. Wear leather gloves and get mad at it
2.Your doing it wrong! You need a near full bore rod. Solid. Weld a t bar to it.
3. Stop right NOW! First, kill the powder charge with water. Remove the nipple and flood the chamber.
4. NO! This is a Minie. Pounding it down will spread the skirt and really get the bullet wedged in against whatever it stuck on. Then it will be harder to pull out.
5. You can try compressed air but being it's stuck half way, I don't think that will do it but it's worth a try. Your only other option I see are to use a bullet puller or get a grease gun fitting that matches your nipple threads and then pump out the minie with a grease gun.
6. Or remove the barrel then the breech-plug and shove it’s ass out the way it came in.
7. not a good idea on a musket without the correct tools.
8. I gues a bench vise, giant crescent wrench and leather pads won’t get it.
9. Remove barrel from rifle, rest breech plug on block of wood to protect tang and beat it down with a BFH and a section of 5/16 All Thread wrapped in tape to protect the bore if you can't get a better rod.
10. No Read posts 9, 10 & 12 !
11. thats just the first page. most after that are just repeats with different verbiage .
eating-popcorn-drew.gif

And that RIGHT THERE is the reason for so much garbage information floating around.
I can't blame the casual enthusiast who just got back from a Battlefield tour or just watched Glory, and decides he wants to play around with a musket....so off he goes to Dixie Gun Works.com to order a Pedersoli 1861 Springfield and 50 .575 Minie balls that Google says is the right ammo.

He pours his powder down, puts Crisco in the base like some old fella told him to and proceeds to load.....uh oh, how did they do this in combat it's hard to load. Then......it's stuck......

I know because that was me when I was 21 years old with an ArmiSport 1861 and some Minies I got somewhere. I was beating the rod down with a piece of wood to seat the Minies and 5 or so shots in I just gave up. "Sizing" them wasn't even in my knowledge base.

Coming to your neighborhood soon.....PAGE 11 :horseback: :horseback: :horseback: :horseback: :doh:😂
I don't get it.....you're on a Muzzleloader forum but if a thread goes too long it's funny?

There's like what a handful of people who actually contribute to this forum but when it turns toxic and dies off because people scare off newcomers, there will be no other resources for newcomers to get info.

This forum was way more active a few years ago. Now it's pretty much on life support. I wonder why

He got it out, it's fine

If this qualifies as popcorn drama for anyone you must have a dull life
well............ i am cruising the inner web, and so are you........ maybe that says something.
Winters has my complete sympathy with his stuck/unstuck Minie'. it is the repetition of things by those that don't bother to read if that "advice" has already been given that i find amusing. it's all in fun. when it stops being fun I will disappear.
speedy3.gif

Last edited:
well............ i am cruising the inner web, and so are you........ maybe that says something.
Winters has my complete sympathy with his stuck/unstuck Minie'. it is the repetition of things by those that don't bother to read if that "advice" has already been given that i find amusing. it's all in fun. when it stops being fun I will disappear.View attachment 87655
There's bound to be trouble brewing in the ad department. Someone advertised an under hammer barrel for sale.....

I drop in here randomly to discuss obscure historical stories and talk about using weird ammunition in Smoothbores mostly .

If I want to laugh at people I go on Facebook and see who's cheating on each other , a guy with a stuck Minie ball looking for advice and getting 20 opinions is just normal Gun Forum activity anywhere , especially here

Some of the threads on here are more like........New Guy says "I just bought an ArmiSport Enfield I need advice on shooting Minies" and 40 people are telling him to start casting round balls and use secret lube formulas, start with 61.7 grains of 3f and use lead mined from SE Wyoming only .....and he just kinda goes away.

I don't get it.....you're on a Muzzleloader forum but if a thread goes too long it's funny?

There's like what a handful of people who actually contribute to this forum but when it turns toxic and dies off because people scare off newcomers, there will be no other resources for newcomers to get info.

This forum was way more active a few years ago. Now it's pretty much on life support. I wonder why
And he probably has half the posts. Did i say he probably has 5 pages of posts on this topic? Wants to jump up in statis i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back