• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mink Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two jars of Mink Oil that have sat in a barn drawer for at least 10 years and look fine. It is for waterproofing and preserving leather. Is this the same stuff that folks use to lubricate their patches?

What does the label say?
Is it 100% mink oil with no additives? Is there a product name you can research online to find out if there is anything else added to it?
If it is 100% pure mink oil, no additives, you should be able to use it. Bit, if there is anything else in it, I would not use it.

I came up with a thought/question/idea while typing the above.
Does anyone here have a can of Track's mink oil and also a can of shoe product mink oil that they would not use in a muzzle loader?
If so, can we come up with some type of burn test, like one might do with fabric to see if it has synthetics in it, in order to determine its suitability for use as a patch or wad lube?

I have a dozen tins of Sofsole shoe mink oil that I stocked up on from Amazon. I use it all the time on boots and in my rifles. Never an issue with fouling, burning patches or anything different that tracks mink oil. The ingredients do NOT show any type of petroleum products. I actually think tracks mink oil may be cheaper though if it’s in stock.

Attachments

• E76A0163-F97F-46C3-BAF6-F3DF74B9FE29.png
    E76A0163-F97F-46C3-BAF6-F3DF74B9FE29.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
TOW mink oil is really great lube. I no longer hunt but still have a tiny bit left just in case. Otherwise I use Hoppes #9 BP Lube.

I have a dozen tins of Sofsole shoe mink oil that I stocked up on from Amazon. I use it all the time on boots and in my rifles. Never an issue with fouling, burning patches or anything different that tracks mink oil. The ingredients do NOT show any type of petroleum products. I actually think tracks mink oil may be cheaper though if it’s in stock.
If it works, great. Not really much actual mink oil in the stuff though according to the MSDS. Mostly Bleached Tallow, though no mention of the donating critter.
1659997445149.png

There are lots of good products to treat leather if that is your aim. Dyers makes a great product for their and others Mocs. No reason why it couldn't be used on other things. Lexall is a good cleaner and softens up some. Fiebing's - an excellent company making first class leather treatment products since forever. Made in the US I believe.

But I wouldn't put any of them in a barrel.

Back