• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mini Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hannum

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm looking for any information on this mini cannon my dad and I just pulled out of storage. As far as he remembers my grandfather got a kit in the early 80s and put it together. It looks like the steel cannon is for display as it has no hole for a wick, just a little indentation. The brass/bronze cannon does have an actual hole for a wick so we're assuming it's functional. We'd like to get it cleaned up, safety checked then look into getting supplies so we can fire it off a few times. Any advice, tips, pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John Hannum

DSC04324.jpg

DSC04327.jpg

DSC04320.jpg

DSC04322.jpg

CVA used to sell cannon kits. Those could be from them. The dates you mention would fit.
Could be drilled and used for sound effects but, IMHO, not safe for projectiles.
Neat. I like. Congrats.

this doese look like on e of those CVA kits made in spain dont think they wee set up for live fire though but i could be wrong i believe they came in 50 and 69 cal
the touch hole was not drilled at the factory this got them around a few laws/legals

Thanks for the leads, much appreciated. The steel cannon is not drilled for a touch but the brass/bronze one is which led us to believe one was built for functionality, the other display.

keep in mind, just because the touch hole is drilled doesnt mean the gun is safe to fire a projectile out of.

i would stick to blanks.

-Matt

Oh I would have to test fire it!

With a fuse and from behind cover of course. But I betcha that thing will fire a ball with a light charge and a firm but not too tight patch/ball combo.

I'd tap the steel barrel and proof it myself just to see if it can take it. From a safe place of course. No need getting hurt and all.

I say if you want to live fire it get a ball t allowing for windage cannons are never patched
in my 1" bore i use .97 ball no patch and 100 grains
in cannons there is a 1/3 rule at the breech this means the wall thickness should be for safe to fire the same thickness as the bore dia in other word 1" bore the breech should be min of 3" across
cannon are different but simular animals to rifle or single shot pistol
I would try to locate the CVA or Traditions owner manual and see what it has to offer
the little cannon i had simular to the one shown was 75cal i used a 69cal ball and 40 grains but im in NO way suggesting this

I remember these were pretty widely available back in the 80's. They were kits as far as I recall.

They were made to be fired, but I don't know if the touch holes had to be drilled.

Firing shouldn't be a problem. It's modern steel. Yes, do try to find the manual and do a little more research. Old Dixie catalogs had these for sale.

John

Full size cannon used a ball with windage because the bores were often not all that smooth and the cast iron balls were not all that round. In small scale cannons, with a well drilled bore and a cast lead round projectile, I use a patch all the time. No different than firing a smooth bore pistol except the the cannon barrels typically have a much thicker breech and are safer (assuming that the barrel is made of good material.) I have several .50 and .75 cal sub scale cannons that I shoot with patched balls without a problem. Much more accurate as well.

cannon used a ball with windage

Not just full sized. Methinks a cannon is a cannon even if it is a .50 cal., .69 cal. or whatever.
"windage" means smaller than bore, sloppy fit to allow blow by for safety and rapid loading.
If the steel is good, carriage sturdy and there is a means for aiming (support breech end), it should be shootable. Personally, I would still stick to blank loads for effect only.

when i bought my first cannon 75 cal i patched it like my bess but i foudn no patch works jsut as good accurate is so close why use one
i hear both sides on many forums and shooting matchs some patch some dont but anything over an 1" i would never patch
your thinking is about right in smaal bore its like a smoothbore pistol my two smooth pistol i have i stopped patching them as well still hit the 25 yaard target decent enouf

Back