• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Minié Ball Trajectory

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any data on a .54 cal Minié ball 425 gr trajectory? I'm attempting to judge the drop from 50 yards to 100 yards. My .54 is currently sighted in for 1.5 inches high at 50 yards, and I would like to get it tuned in for 100-yard shot for Elk this fall. To get on the paper at 100-yards, how high above center would the bullet need to be at 50 yards. JYI I am shooting 80 gr of Triple FFFG.

Does anyone have any data on a .54 cal Minié ball 425 gr trajectory? I'm attempting to judge the drop from 50 yards to 100 yards. My .54 is currently sighted in for 1.5 inches high at 50 yards, and I would like to get it tuned in for 100-yard shot for Elk this fall. To get on the paper at 100-yards, how high above center would the bullet need to be at 50 yards. JYI I am shooting 80 gr of Triple FFFG.
Your trajectory would depend on your velocity & the BC of your bullet. Beings we have no idea what these are it would not be possible to calculate your trajectory. Curious why you just don't shoot it at 100 yards & sight it in as needed????? 1.5" high at 50 will still put you on paper @ 100 yards. I'm guessing maybe a couple inches low. Not enough to miss an elk.

Plenty of assumptions but figuring a 425gr projectile going 1300fps with a bc of .131 sighted at 75 yards your rifle will be about 1" high at 25 yards, 1.3" high at 50, zero at 75, -3.2" at 100 yards, -8.4" at 125 yards and -15.8" at 150 yards. I use Hornady's calculator quite a bit. Simple and effective.

Every powder charge and barrel length and butt design and shooting position makes a difference...
Yeah, shoot it at the distances you would hunt.

Say, what's your piece? Shooting thick skirted .54 minies makes me want to go all wormy.

Back