• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mill for Stock blanks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGlaza78

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My friend has a chunk of cherry wood about 6 feet long and 12-14 inches in diameter. We'd like to make it into stock blanks for building rifle/pistol projects. Is there anyone within a hundred miles or so of the Greater Cincinnati area that can cut this into something we can use? Does a mill like this exist anwhere anymore?

My friend has a chunk of cherry wood about 6 feet long and 12-14 inches in diameter. We'd like to make it into stock blanks for building rifle/pistol projects. Is there anyone within a hundred miles or so of the Greater Cincinnati area that can cut this into something we can use? Does a mill like this exist anwhere anymore?
I know they do around PA, and you must have some, too. Google!

JG,
don’t want to be a party pooper, but……. It is doubtful you will have enough wood in that log for rifle blanks. You don’t want the white heartwood.
But, please don’t take my word for it, but before you spend a lot for milling, talk to someone with a little more knowledge of the subject.
Probably some good pistol blanks though.
Hope this helps.

I think above it was meant that the outer white sapwood is no good. I have made stock blanks using a chainsaw with a brand new blade. You must also avoid the very center of the log. This makes 16” about the minimum diameter for cherry. If you want to try, look up chainsaw slabs on YouTube. I nail a 2x4 to the log to use as a guide for sawing.

JG,
don’t want to be a party pooper, but……. It is doubtful you will have enough wood in that log for rifle blanks. You don’t want the white heartwood.
But, please don’t take my word for it, but before you spend a lot for milling, talk to someone with a little more knowledge of the subject.
Probably some good pistol blanks though.
Hope this helps.
Good info. I know nothing about wood science, but your comment makes sense.

Thanks friends,

It's a lovely piece of wood, it would be nice if it would work. We'll see what good use we can find for it. I thank you for the feedback.

Back