• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Military Heritage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PegLegNC

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Has anybody done business with a company called "Military Heritage" ? They have a couple of firearms I'm interested in, but I dont know if they are legit or ripoffs. Thanks for any information.

Do a search of the forums for Military Heritage, as well as, Loyalist Arms and you'll find an extensive debate on the quality of the Indian made guns. They are a perfectly credible company that sells cheap firearms in a wide variety of options. You'll find a lot discussion on the quality though.

Yep, curry guns. Heavy teak wood, and the best thing I've heard about them is that the barrel won't necessarily blow up. They're probably as good as anything else from India, which can be compared to the stuff floating down the Ganges river on any given day. If you want to see what they are capable of, read about their native designed <unmentionable> adopted by what they try to pass off as an army.

PegLeg, get your advice from people who've actually purchased from them or owned/shot the guns they sell. Ignore the "curry guns" Ganges manure from the people who haven't.
Sure, give it a shot. I'm sure their guns are just as good as any others once you replace the lock, stock and barrel. Maybe they can help you with your car warranty and a deal on a vacation too!

I have way too much first hand experience dealing directly with Indian "engineers". I wouldn't touch anything made by them.

Has anybody done business with a company called "Military Heritage" ? They have a couple of firearms I'm interested in, but I dont know if they are legit or ripoffs. Thanks for any information.

Many forum members have reported they MUCH prefer Loyalist Arms over Military Heritage for both quality and customer service. Though all their guns come from India, there can be and often is a big difference in the quality of imported guns between dealers.

Gus

I have owned FIVE muskets from Loyalist Arms LLC.
One I sold because it was too early for what I was doing in living history.
They seem to shoot straight..., ethnic bias not applicable....

SQUIRRELS 1A.jpg

LD

I have owned and shot and worked on two flintlocks that were made in India. One came from Loyalist Arms and the other was from Military Heritage. BOTH were ok (for the price) and shot pretty good. The issues that I had with them was that the locks are "clunky" and the main springs usually overly heavy resulting in a short life span for the flint and longer ignition times, so you will most probably end up needing to do a bit of work on the lock to get it smoother and faster performing. My biggest issue with the two I owned was the darned wood they use for the stocks ALL the importers' guns use the same thick, heavy, soft and "greasy feeling" Teak wood! I rarely hear that discussed on most muzzle loading forums but THAT was the thing that I disliked about my India made guns the most. However if these guns are what you can afford then go for it! Owning and shooting a muzzle loader from India sure beats not owning one at all. Some folks will tell you to just wait and save up till you can afford something nicer and better made and I agree that is the best advice. I sold both of my guns and I don't miss having to work on them to have them shoot in a reliable manner but you do learn a lot about lock tuning from owning one! The old story about the barrels on India made guns not being safe is just nonsense but I personally discovered that buying one is a form of "false economy" because you will most probably end up selling it to put the money toward something better made and nicer looking fairly quickly. Just my humble opinion.

Yep, curry guns. Heavy teak wood, and the best thing I've heard about them is that the barrel won't necessarily blow up. They're probably as good as anything else from India, which can be compared to the stuff floating down the Ganges river on any given day. If you want to see what they are capable of, read about their native designed <unmentionable> adopted by what they try to pass off as an army.

Just to add a point made a short while back by another poster from UK - AFAWK, not a single Indian-made BP firearm has failed either London or Birmingham gun proof test.

Yet.

As for the inevitable disparagers, please take a few minutes to see that CAN be done with one of their Baker rifle replication - Friend Rob of britishmuzzleloading on Youtube shoots his with obvious relish and a high degree of accuracy...

Last edited:
I have a Bess from both Canadian stores. Loyalist shot perfect right out of the box, fast lock with great spark. MH went to a gunsmith for drilling and lock tuning. The smith wasn't happy with the breech plug fit so that needed work also. Now it shoots flawlessly. Hundreds of rounds later still no problems. That is my experience

I have a 1795 Springfield from Military Heratige that I did just a little bit of work to. I refinished the stock and antiqued the barrel and hardware and of course I pulled the breach plug and drilled the vent hole. That gave me the chance to really examine the barrel inside and out and there is no guesting for me that it is a safe firearm. All of this work did not take long at all and I am completely pleased with the results. I did by the way do alot of research before making my purchase. Right now most of there offerings are out of stock, I was just looking at their website this morning.

Gentlemen,
I have owned 3 from Loyalist, 1 from MH and 1 from MVTC.
All 3 from Loyalist have been great. The lock was good, Wood to metal fit as good as Lyman. I sold the 42' and EIC pistol when I was in need of money and currently have a 1777 French carbine WHICH I LOVE. I have standard Italian, custom and this one and the 1777 may be my favorite. Customer service is great as well. The MH was a doglock musket and it was at least 15 years ago, so quality may have changed. Mine however has an orangeish colored stock and a trigger pull of 700 pounds (felt like it anyway), but it was safe and I shot live rounds through it. Due to stock color and needing to eat my wheaties to pull the trigger I sold it. The MVTC as a blunderbuss. It was ok, but the fit and finish were not good and it looked cheap. Again, those were 15 yrs ago, so things may have changed.
Personally, I would stick with Loyalist, I have had nothing but great guns and superior service from them.
Respectfully,
David

Thanks for all the responses. I got the all metal murdoch pistol from MH. It needs a good washing out to get rid of machining gunk and cleaning up the lock. After checking out Loyalist Arms, I might get the blunderbuss I want later on from them.
Again, Thanks for all the info

I have 4 from military Heritage Blunderbuss 1733 pistol fusee and Brown Bess they all needed work on the lock to lower the 500 lb trigger but that was easy enough to take care of they are strong and accurate guns

I've just received a brass blunderbuss from MH.
Sparks OK. Pins are relatively straightish.
I've seen worse trigger pull.
Need to refinish wood and drill the barrel.
I would have no issues shooting it.
I view this sort of like a kit gun needing some love.
It's not a Pedersoli, but I didn't expect it to be.

Last edited:
Their wool they try to pass off as Melton broadcloth is neither. I'm sure it's a blend as well as an overcoat twill. It's so bad that it's unfinished and you can plainly see the weave. I had the guy on the phone tell me otherwise when I ordered it. I'm not dealing with them again

Back