• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Military Heritage 1733 French naval pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Aubrey

32 Cal
Reaction score
Totally uninterested in the India/Paki muzzleloader hate. Having said that, I was wondering if there are any others that have purchased this pistol- or any of the other flintlock pistols offered by M.H.
I will be very interested in hearing about the details of bringing up to firing condition you experienced. The good, the bad, the ugly mistakes, things to be aware of, tips etc. Id like to hear some opinions on the type of wood, I'm hearing some people say its teak wood. Very best regards, Steve

I had one for a few months, didn’t. Like it, traded it for a loss.

There were many reasons for I had made the decision part with it, in particular the lock gave me a ton of trouble and the Stock just would taken any kind of finish other than a dye and urethane.

My brother and I both have them from MH..We love them they are more historically accurate than many of the repros out there. flinternick is correct in that the lock will need to be tuned by a competent gunsmith Fortunately I have been working on these for twenty years.I tell people that they are similar to the kits offered by track of the wolf or others in that they require at minimum spring work and sear smoothing.I also refinished the wood to the original specs BLO or tung oil...You will see alot of polyurethane and shellac finishes out there.Check youtube for refinish videos there are many good ones.And good luck enjoying your new Smokepole.

Hi Steve

General complaints about the India made guns comes to about three things: 1) Too much wood left on the stock. 2) Wood not taking many of the after-market stains. 3) Lock function not always reliable.

But if you don't plan on refinishing the stock, and the bit of excess wood doesn't bother you, then you should be OK.

The lock may generally function OK out of the box. But the lock tuning by a pro mentioned above is highly recommended. It does wonders for these locks.

Rick

I've noticed a rim inside the barrel, about where the flash hole goes. I know a ball needs to be firmly seated on the powder charge, but how can that happen if that ring is in the way? Can someone explain this please?

The flash hole should be close to the face of the breech plug so any rim there shouldn't interfere with seating a ball on the powder. I don't know why there would be a rim there but it should be possible to unbreech the barrel and remove it. It's also possible it has some type of chambered ("patent") breech. In that case the breech plug has a chamber that is smaller in diameter than the bore and you'll probably have to live with it. It shouldn't be a problem.

The flash hole should be close to the face of the breech plug so any rim there shouldn't interfere with seating a ball on the powder. I don't know why there would be a rim there but it should be possible to unbreech the barrel and remove it. It's also possible it has some type of chambered ("patent") breech. In that case the breech plug has a chamber that is smaller in diameter than the bore and you'll probably have to live with it. It shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, the flash hole is on the breech plug side of the ring. I was told it was a " stepped breech," not sure what that means. What was the purpose of these patent breeches?

Not sure what you mean by stepped breech in regards to a 1733 French Calvary pistol. The barrel should have a typical breech plug.

If you’re referring to the turned rings at the outside wall of the barrel, those are called baluster rings or sometimes identified as a ‘turned’ breech. However, a 1777 pistol should have flats at the breech and no baulester rings, baulester rings are found on dutch, British, Prussian and some american made flintlock pistols.

The turned section of the breech does not identify where the vent hole is drilled. Every blackpowder arm is different depending on how long the breech is. The location of the pan in relation to the breech plug will determine where the vent hole is drilled.

In regards to a stepped breech, i think that’s referred to as a breech with a mechanism, such as a Ferguson rifle, or a hall rifle.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'd suggest checking with muzzleloadershop.com for a Loyalist Arms pistol. They check them over well, make sure the frizzen is hardened and the lock works, proof the barrel and drill the flash hole. My British Heavy Dragoon hasn't had a hiccup yet. I cleaned up the lock a little more for my own preference, but it's sparked every time.

Attachments

• 20220713_195705.jpg
    20220713_195705.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Totally uninterested in the India/Paki muzzleloader hate. Having said that, I was wondering if there are any others that have purchased this pistol- or any of the other flintlock pistols offered by M.H.
I will be very interested in hearing about the details of bringing up to firing condition you experienced. The good, the bad, the ugly mistakes, things to be aware of, tips etc. Id like to hear some opinions on the type of wood, I'm hearing some people say its teak wood. Very best regards, Steve
I'm with you! I liked the Trade Musket from Military Heritage but stumbled upon a North Star (Curley Gostomsky) Trade Musket and bought that instead. As Popeye would say, 'if you likes 'em, you can buys 'em!'

I'm with you! I liked the Trade Musket from Military Heritage but stumbled upon a North Star (Curley Gostomsky) Trade Musket and bought that instead. As Popeye would say, 'if you likes 'em, you can buys 'em!'
Here's my 1733 from military heritage did some work to the stock and lightened the springs it's a handsome shooter

Attachments

• 0130220500.jpg
    0130220500.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Here's my 1733 from military heritage did some work to the stock and lightened the springs it's a handsome shooter
I LIKE that! I took removed the finish it came with and went with a boiled linseed oil.
What is your take on that ridge down near the breech?

I LIKE that! I took removed the finish it came with and went with a boiled linseed oil.
What is your take on that ridge down near the breech?
The breech plug on your pistol is counter bored. The flash vent has additional metal to go through lengthening the distance to the powder charge.
I removed my 1733 breech plug after I bored the vent where it should be and dremeled a slot in the plug to allow closer access to the powder charge.
This in no way weakens the breech and made my pistol very reliable on ignition.
LBL

I keep checking every day. I'd love one on the 1731 Potsdam Model German Cavalry pistol.

Back