• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mike Brooks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one of his Carolina guns, great gun. All of the top builders have a waiting list, but I would check with him on an estimated time.

I have a 16 gauge Fowler that Mike built for me some years ago. I wanted as light a gun as he could make. He reproduced exactly the #9 New England gun shown in Switlick’s book about Fowlers.
The gun is everything I wanted and more. Made to my measurements, it is not a fancy gun, though it is sure pretty. It shows great attention to detail and points like a wand.
forty-two inch barrel, six pounds four ounces.
529F99F4-31E9-488D-A924-335D8E9113AD.jpeg
BEAC261D-7922-4938-B3D0-41F4BEF0E27A.jpeg
It
2324A2AC-2D9A-42A3-9005-477B6F4E39A4.jpeg

Didn't know Mike was still making guns on a commission basis. Thought he was going to make what he wanted and post for sale. Anyway, I have three guns Mike built. Highly recommended.

1 English Fowler/Officer's Fusil. 41.5" Long Hammock tapered and flared ROUND barrel, 20 gauge. 6.75 lbs. Holds like a dream.
2 European Blunderbuss. 11 gauge barrel by Ben Coogle.
3 1640's English Doglock Pistol. .50 caliber.

Rick
DSC00742 (Medium).JPG
blunderbuss 001 (Medium).jpg
English Doglock Pistol 001 (Medium).jpg

Because Mike and guys like Ken Netting have made so many guns, their guns show up for sale from time to time, and it’s possible to get one without ordering one at auction or offered for sale on forums.

Mike did a Kibler kit for me about 2mos. ago. Top notch. I don't think he is taking orders. He's building spec rifles and finishing his backlog. #377 and that is just since he started numbering them.

Brooks rifle 001.JPG
Brooks rifle 004.JPG

Last edited:
Mike is actually legendary as a builder. I'd love to have one of his guns but the wallet's a bit light. I've tried to get him to return to this site but he said he wasn't all that well received here originally. His work is definitely meticulous and "uber" fine.

Mike is actually legendary as a builder. I'd love to have one of his guns but the wallet's a bit light. I've tried to get him to return to this site but he said he wasn't all that well received here originally. His work is definitely meticulous and "uber" fine.

Quite frankly, Mike is above any and all here or elsewhere, including myself. Finest builder of our time. He wouldn’t have a backlog of 5+ years if this weren’t so.

Yea, he's another one of the good ones Magungo. I've owned more than a few of his and they're as good as any, and better than most, of the one's you'll pay 2000$ to $3000 for..... Just don't expect 1/4" of lacquer. He's a workmanlike builder who builds workmanlike guns.

Back