• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Midwest?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once our country spread beyond the Mississippi, it seems goofy that my state, Ohio, is still considered the Midwest! Since when- the Louisiana Purchase? By looking at the map, Ohio should be called the Mideast, and yes, Colorado is in the middle of the West- The Midwest makes sense to me!

I noticed there's no "West" or "North West" & "South West" either. The west coast is listed as "Pacific". Well at least they got Kentucky in the "South East".

Well at least the pacific is the west coast. Calling Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, etc. the Midwest is like calling Arizona the northeast. It is blatantly wrong. There isn't even room for argument.

Well at least the pacific is the west coast. Calling Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, etc. the Midwest is like calling Arizona the northeast. It is blatantly wrong. There isn't even room for argument.
Sounds to me like your arguing it right here. :)

It won't do any good though. The MLF is not going to create a whole bunch of forum areas to cover all of the possibilities of where a State might be listed.

These "Regional Forums" are here for people to talk about where they live and to pass on information that might be interesting to other people who live in the general areas around them. If someone takes offense because the MLF put their state somewhere they don't like, there's nothing that says they have to post in it.

As I said in post #4,
"I guess it is what it is and everybody has to be some place so for our forum they are in the Midwest zone. Try not to worry about it. :) "

Any way they have two states in the northeast region that are below the good ole MASON/DIXON line perhaps someone is re-districting wouldn't be the first time that's been attempted now would it. Personally I believe this thread was started to ruffle some feathers in a fun sort of way of course.

dont feel bad I grew up in the Iowa the Midwest and now I found out that is no longer true.

Fleener from Iowa, and no longer Midwest.

It really has no bearing on me, but I've never before seen such an outright error before. On a forum presumably rich in American culture and geography no less.

No hard feelings at all, change it if you will, or don't. It IS an error though, but I won't be loosing any sleep over it either. You don't have to create any more sub forums, you simply can't sensibly call the Great Plains and Rocky mountains the Midwest. Sorry for the interruption, carry on.

Last edited:
I'm from Ohio and I'm just confused! I was raised to believe that I lived in the midwest. Then in the 80's and 90's all of the politicians and elite types started telling me that I really lived in the "rust belt". Then, because I live in a rural, farming area they changed their minds in the 2000's and redesignated me a "deplorable" living in "fly over country". When I started going out west ( Rocky Mountain states) to hunt, those people said I was from the "East". Hell, I've lived here all my life and don't know where I'm at!!!

Well, for us rural folks keep in mind the federal government started defining us by what we aren't 30-40 years ago when they changed "rural" to "non-urban." I rather like being called rural rather than non urban. I guess someone thought we felt rural had a clod hopper connotation and we would feel better by being non urban. I'm just glad I'm not urban.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States#History_of_the_term_Midwest
Look at the history of the term. "Great lakes" is also an accurate way to describe the Midwest, so you don't even have to change that. The area shown on this forum for "Midwest" is false, and that has been the case since at least 1886. They also show the Midwest, as defined by the US government for census purposes. This forum has it wrong, it is as simple as that. It can't be that hard to change the name of this sub forum to something appropriate like plains states, or central states.

I've been married to a Kansas native girl for over forty years. And she considers Kansas to be midwest. So I've learned to accept that definition. Easy for me because I'm a native Oregonian from the Willamette Valley. Heck, anything east of Baker City, Oregon is back east to me.

I have grown old in Pennsylvania and considered it east. Now it’s mid west and i am white/ non hispanic

Back