• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Midway

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Fiocchis used to be in red plastic tins and were included in some of the old revolver kits.

HUH!!!! TDM when you talk about "used to be" and "old revolver kits" are referring to the availability of and use of them back in the early 70's plus.

When I first got into C&B and MZ black powder shooting in '72, Italian made caps in red plastic tins were all about that were available to myself and other shooters in my area. Can't recall what was written on the top other than 'Made in Italy'. Shot them in a EMF '51 Navy in 44 caliber and in my TC Hawken 45 MZ. Worked ok in the TC but were a PITA on that EMF. Didn't fit tight, had to pinch them before installing, most of the time 2-3 would blow off when firing. Spent more time recapping and digging cap frags out of the action I think than actual shooting. All that was available and it was a time before we really knew how to make a cap gun run smooth, not a whole lot of info available (pre-website/computer days). Places like Track of the Wolf were either unheard of or non-existent at the time, believe Dixie was around but never did much with them, don't believe any of us even had a catalog. Not many cap/MZ shooters in the area at the time, think there were 4 of us in those early days. Those were the days!!! Those red plastic tin caps were $1.00 per 100 at the time, blk powder around $2.00 a pound. Somewhere in my 'hoarders stash' I have one of those old plastic cap tins, have to try and find.

We must be using different dictionaries...
Taboo - a social or religious custom prohibiting or forbidding discussion of a particular practice or forbidding association with a particular person, place, or thing.
I own more modern guns than I do muzzleloaders. Yet, I have had muzzleloaders since 1978. As you have stated, I am positive I am not alone. This forum is for muzzleloaders.

I've been toying for a while with getting my first percussion revolver. I'm drawn to the 1860 colt types as they look cool and the grip fits my large paws well. I'm confused as Midway appears to have three different listings with three different prices with what appears to be the same revolver (Pietta 1860 Colt replica, 8"bbl iron frame) Am I missing something? I wish I'd got on it a little earlier when they were about a hundred bucks cheaper.

I'd check the manufacturer # Midway has listed for each of the Pietta and Uberti models with their respective websites and see what they say about each model. I looked at Midways site and they don't really have a good description about the same manufacturer (Uberti and Pietta) models. Sometimes outfits like Midway won't even post the right picture for the model they're listing. Have seen that several times. Different prices for same model say for the 1860 models usually are the result of brass grip frame vs blued steel, fluted/unfluted cylinder, polished steel finish, barrel length and other various differences.

Pietta's Sheriff's Model 1860 is nothing but a normal 8" model cut to 5.5". Never figured out why a shorter barrel same model should be more $$ vs the longer barrel version. Less materials to produce. Same as why kids tennis shoes can be the same $$ as a comparable model as an adults. The Sheriff's model is a birthchild of Pietta as is the 1851 Navy frame 44 caliber. Good shootin guns but not original as Colt made em back in the day except some sources that I've read say the R&R boys at the Colt factory played with but never produced. I myself have no problem with Pietta's or any other manufacturer taking a few liberties with barrels, calibers, just so they retain the same function and basic looks of the originals. I have a 51 Navy Pietta 44 and love it as I like the 51 looks but prefer 44 caliber vs 36, one of my favorite cappers.

If you decide to buy from Midway, I'd check the manufacturer product number before ordering so as not to be surprised upon receiving. IMO some of those business computer website organizers may not be up to snuff on what they are listing. Comparable to alot of big box store floor sales persons in hunting/firearms departments sometimes lacking really deep info and/or experience on what they're selling or trying to sell ya. Have ran into that alot of times.

About a year ago I ordered a 1860 from Midway. They had several listings for the same thing with different prices. I chose the cheapest one and it came in in a weak. It's good. No special problems . Now that I have shot it a little and cleaned and lubed it,I'm happy.
I used the Italian caps and still have a few. I seen them for as low as $.50 once upon a time. They had brass cups and were corrosive as heck. About like the home made caps some of us make.

I've been toying for a while with getting my first percussion revolver. I'm drawn to the 1860 colt types as they look cool and the grip fits my large paws well. I'm confused as Midway appears to have three different listings with three different prices with what appears to be the same revolver (Pietta 1860 Colt replica, 8"bbl iron frame) Am I missing something? I wish I'd got on it a little earlier when they were about a hundred bucks cheaper.

That was discussed in this thread: Midway Pietta 1860's

Bottom line: they are all the same, the price difference is due to who distributed the revolver.

Those $234 brassers, I believe are "Midway Exclusives" 😃

I bought a pair of them.....they are functional but not finished very well. for the price I'm not worried about it. Given that 50 bucks got me pretty much snacks and toilet paper at the store, for $230 I'll be happy if they shoot to the sights and the frames aren't butter soft. These are probably the lowest price cap and baller you can find and Pietta cut the appropriate cosmetic corners to accommodate this

My personal theory is that Pietta and Uberti make batches to fill orders by distributors/ sellers , and the distributor or seller pays whatever agreed upon price per unit and Pietta and Uberti deliver units finished accordingly. Along with of course using over runs , canceled orders and just extra stock to fill out orders

Judging by the two Piettas I just received, plus being a specific variation not seen anywhere else, MidWay orders "cleanup guns " too, in my opinion

I may be wrong , just an observation.

My personal theory is that Pietta and Uberti make batches to fill orders by distributors/ sellers , and the distributor or seller pays whatever agreed upon price per unit and Pietta and Uberti deliver units finished accordingly. Along with of course using over runs , canceled orders and just extra stock to fill out orders

Judging by the two Piettas I just received, plus being a specific variation not seen anywhere else, MidWay orders "cleanup guns " too, in my opinion

I may be wrong , just an observation.
It would be interesting to know the internal, confidential workings of that marketplace!

Let's not knock Midway; they just re-sell a product offered by Italian companies, I don't imagine they have any hand in the quality production. BTW, every day in the news, there's talk of one day going to war with China! Better not wish for that, imagine the "supply chain" snafu, plus almost all Chinese products, which are in our homes and workplaces, craft stores, dollar stores, auto-parts supply, and where would we get printer ink? My point being, we are so intertwined with China that a war would disrupt unimaginably...would make WW2 rationing look like fun. It becomes clearer as time goes on, how important it was that we saved Korea in the 1950's. They're a bulwark against communist domination of the East.

I love Midway, I just stocked up on 1000s of round balls for 6 bucks a box and every $250 brasser I've bought from them continues to successfully shoot

I don't buy anything from Midway. They won't ship many things to New York, even though they are legal. With the money they make they should be on the front line of our fight. Like the NRA, they take millions from this state and return, lip service, if even that.
Robby

MidWay is like a churched up BudK

I never "round up", they are a business and if they have the lowest price for something I want I'll give them my $$ instead of some other conglomerate like Cabelas

I'm a consumer in a Capitalist economy, here's my $$ give me my product.

Back