• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Midway

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 'taboo' is a social group's ban, prohibition, or avoidance of something based on the group's sense that it is excessively repulsive, offensive, sacred, or allowed only for certain persons.

I can see where this forum prefers to stay on task and prohibit discussions of certain styles of firearms, but I would find it hard to believe that the majority of the people who participate in discussion here consider such firearms as being excessively repulsive or offensive. I suspect that most here actually possess and use such fire arms for various sporting and defensive purposes.

A shorter acronym for the 'unmentionable' items could be to describe them as being in violation of forum guidelines - VOFG (4 letters) 😎
We must be using different dictionaries...
Taboo - a social or religious custom prohibiting or forbidding discussion of a particular practice or forbidding association with a particular person, place, or thing.

A 'taboo' is a social group's ban, prohibition, or avoidance of something based on the group's sense that it is excessively repulsive, offensive, sacred, or allowed only for certain persons.

I can see where this forum prefers to stay on task and prohibit discussions of certain styles of firearms, but I would find it hard to believe that the majority of the people who participate in discussion here consider such firearms as being excessively repulsive or offensive. I suspect that most here actually possess and use such fire arms for various sporting and defensive purposes.

A shorter acronym for the 'unmentionable' items could be to describe them as being in violation of forum guidelines - VOFG (4 letters) 😎
If it's relevant to the topic , most people don't really care here if someone makes a comparison to a cartridge or if we're talking about historical battles....it sometimes can't be helped if both kinds of weapons were used

Only the most die hard purist curmudgeons would get physically revolted and offended at the mention of an unmentionable

Their prices are often by far the lowest...My beef with Midway is their no return policy. I bought 5 Uberti percussion revolvers from them last year, 4 were excellent inside and out...I was incredibly impressed...The 5th, a Whitneyville Dragoon, looked like Lorenzo in the Uberti packaging department dropped it on the concrete floor, and then accidentally kicked it around a couple of times before gaining a good enough purchase on it to box it up. I wasn't at all happy about that, and let Midway know that if I had bought it from virtually any of their competitors, it'd have gone back. The response was that they don't inspect them before shipping, followed up by a bunch of legality BS. I finally raised enough hell and sent some pictures of the damage that they did at least give me a "blem" price partial refund. Not sure if I'll buy anymore blackpowder items from them again though...At least not for a while.

Speaking of Italian stuff, Fiocci, the Italian ammo-maker, is building a plant in Georgia
to mfg. un-mentionable ammo, plus a plant for primers. Would be nice if they got
into percussion primers, too. How's about we 'invent' an abbreviated term for "Un-
mentionable? Any suggestions?
Just picked up some primers made by them. They are good quality.

Their prices are often by far the lowest...My beef with Midway is their no return policy. I bought 5 Uberti percussion revolvers from them last year, 4 were excellent inside and out...I was incredibly impressed...The 5th, a Whitneyville Dragoon, looked like Lorenzo in the Uberti packaging department dropped it on the concrete floor, and then accidentally kicked it around a couple of times before gaining a good enough purchase on it to box it up. I wasn't at all happy about that, and let Midway know that if I had bought it from virtually any of their competitors, it'd have gone back. The response was that they don't inspect them before shipping, followed up by a bunch of legality BS. I finally raised enough hell and sent some pictures of the damage that they did at least give me a "blem" price partial refund. Not sure if I'll buy anymore blackpowder items from them again though...At least not for a while.
Yes they have that no return thing listed but I also had a beef with them with a blemished Dragoon I got from them. I called and complained and the guy said to ship it back for a refund. I was able to polish off the blemish so I kept the Dragoon anyway.

Fiocchi used to make percussion primers... I once picked up a pile of those as a blanket prize, at some blackpowder camp shoot. And I learned again that most things that come up as a blanket prize have been put there by somebody who did not like them... the primers you can see on the right hand side are the last survivors of that batch. Sorry the (blue) Fiocchi labels on the lid are gone, but I assure that those used to be made by Fiocchi. Main difference from the other makes in the picture is that they were made from some brittle alloy (brass?) , and they did not cling to the nipples like primers made from pliable copper. Most widely used primers in Europe are those bottom left, made by RWS in Germany.
The Sellier & Bellot brand is made in the Czech Republic (they are a bit less expensive) ... the rest you know, I might have added CCI but ran out of those. They all work fine, the Fiocchi were no use with cap and ball sixguns, as they would just not stay on the nipples... especially when you were doing Cowboy Action style.
Speaking about the prize tag - these days, a tin of those 250 RWS primers # 1075 costs 21 Euros in Germany... roughly 8 cent a piece. If you cannot pick those primers up at a gunstore (which are getting extremely scarce in Germany), and order by internet, you need to add 12 € per shipment (as they are considered hazmat).
Fiocchi.jpg

Got a text from Midway today lots of C&B revolvers for sale and in stock.
I keep watching their site for the Traditions Trapper Flintlock pistol kit. I recently picked up the Kentucky percussion pistol from them and have been enjoying it. Now it’s time to add a flintlock to my collection.

I’d been planning on getting an 1851 but hadn’t gotten around to it. The price jump at Midway jarred me into action. EMF has them listed at $243 plus shipping, never dealt with them before but decided to give them a try. Very nice on the phone and I should have it next week.

Ummmm...yeah, I like that! UM it is! Says I! Sometimes it is necessary to refer to something without being too specific; after all, when percussion gave way to "more modern" stuff, there was some overlapping. You're a genius of simplicity!
If I remember right... um, I think it was before I applied at the University of Michigan um, I also applied at the University of Miami and um, was considering the University of Montana and um, heck I forgot where i was um, going with this...

Fiocchi used to make percussion primers... I once picked up a pile of those as a blanket prize, at some blackpowder camp shoot. And I learned again that most things that come up as a blanket prize have been put there by somebody who did not like them... the primers you can see on the right hand side are the last survivors of that batch. Sorry the (blue) Fiocchi labels on the lid are gone, but I assure that those used to be made by Fiocchi. Main difference from the other makes in the picture is that they were made from some brittle alloy (brass?) , and they did not cling to the nipples like primers made from pliable copper. Most widely used primers in Europe are those bottom left, made by RWS in Germany.
The Sellier & Bellot brand is made in the Czech Republic (they are a bit less expensive) ... the rest you know, I might have added CCI but ran out of those. They all work fine, the Fiocchi were no use with cap and ball sixguns, as they would just not stay on the nipples... especially when you were doing Cowboy Action style.
Speaking about the prize tag - these days, a tin of those 250 RWS primers # 1075 costs 21 Euros in Germany... roughly 8 cent a piece. If you cannot pick those primers up at a gunstore (which are getting extremely scarce in Germany), and order by internet, you need to add 12 € per shipment (as they are considered hazmat).
View attachment 193532
I actually may have some....I have 1 tin of percussion caps that are old, they're marked "Made in Italy" . They're most likely Fiocchi which makes sense....given that Italy has all the reproduction gunmakers

Just what we need, more acronyms! This site is loaded with them. It’s like a second language. Sometimes I have no idea🤷‍♂️. But I’m slowly learning them.
I agree. Everybody doesn't always know these acronyms. The meaning of a post can be easily misunderstood or totally lost. FYI - MFG Bmg or STM is always YUR or PCR. (Does anyone know what I am referring to?)

Back