• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Middlesex Village Trading Co

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scipio

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Gentlemen:

My advice, go somewhere else. If MVTC is the only place that carries the item you want, wait until someone else carries the item you want or have someone you trust make it for you.

Ordered a 'in stock' firearm from MVTC in early Nov. Although I do understand that it takes MVTC time to tune and prep one of the firearms they get from India, I figured six to eight weeks should be enough. After all, it was shown as 'in stock' when I paid for it. My assumptions were completely wrong. After eight weeks, it became apparent to me that I would not receive the item within several years, if at all.

You can ask the owner of MVTC any question you want and he will refer you to his 'Terms and Conditions' that he will emphasized YOU SIGNED. When you read his Terms and Conditions you see 'most items are sent out within four to six weeks, but some take longer -- much longer.' He will refer you to his 'To Do' list as the only means he will use to communicate with you about the status of your order.

Before you even think about sending him your money, you better look at his 'To Do' list first. Note he does not date anything. Then understand that no matter what you ordered, you will be put on the end of his list. I was over 160 on his list when I made my order. He indicates that he is working on a firearm if he notes "Waiting for Prep". In the nine weeks I waited, I gained six spots on his list. All six were from guys who apparently cancelled their orders. He claims he tries to update his list (only means of communicating status with his customers) once a week but it may be longer, much longer. About every three or four weeks he will update his list and if you want to complain about his lack of communications, he openly says he will 'delete your e-mail with no response'.

In the nine weeks I was on his list, there was only one firearm he claims that he actually completed. Do the math. His own work list was showing was that I would be waiting about six or seven years before he got to my firearm, that was 'In Stock' when I paid for it.

I cancelled my order, with a snide comment from the owner of MVTC, and about the only thing I can say positive about it is that I wasn't charged the 20% cancellation fee. Not because it is illegal either. MVTC has the legal right to charge you that money if they want.

Maybe this guy was top of his game many years ago. Maybe he can turn a mediocre Indian made muzzle loader into a work of art. Not sure because in the nine weeks he had my money, he only completed one firearm for someone.

Be warned.

Scipio

I’ve looked at his page a lot but never done business with him. It’s sad because it looks like a fair deal for the price, however I’ve heard your complaints from others. His FAQ is good advice.
It makes me sad because most of our online dealer in this sport are so above board.

TG:

I am not particularly angry about his failure to provide an in stock item to me within a reasonable period of time. He gave a full refund. About the only thing that angered me was his belligerent and caustic attitude towards his own customers. That is pretty astounding.

He needs to come clean with those on his 'to do' list as to why he seems unable to finish more than one firearm in two plus months and how long they can expect to wait for their product. Then let them decide if they want to stick it out. Fat chance...

Be warned guys.

Scipio

The best way to buy MVTC muskets is when they are offered for a hands-on inspection before you buy...., and you can choose and leave with the item in hand. I've seen large variations in what is offered even when they were shipped by lot to a dealer.

Which is one reason why I've done business with Loyalist Arms out of Canada for anything that I buy sight-unseen when it comes to muskets.

LD

LD:

My thoughts were the same when it comes to MVTC. If you can walk into the place and walk out with the item, go for it. One problem with that one. About 2400 miles. No excuse for his antics though. None.

I agree about Loyalist Arms. Because of your specific advice on one of the forums (that I also trust), I wrote them and they responded within 12 hours. Very polite and respectful. Also did not hesitate to give me a due out based on what I wanted. I called them and Blair was extremely polite and took as much time as needed to discuss the item and purchase.

I fully trust Loyalist will provide me with a respectable firearm that is well tuned and reliable. And that it will be delivered within the time frame I was given. I also trust that if I need to return it or any part of it that they will actually fix it and return it extremely quickly.

Loyalist Arms -- pretty impressive so far.

Scipio

Pete's wife once admitted the guy was hard of hearing and quite the cranky guy. He's also a fraud. The 'lifetime guarantee' devolved into less after my musket locks' sear bent like a soft 3 penny nail. Lock return was supposed to get it properly hardened, but upon return, it was evident the guy has no metallurgical skills, and merely bent the part back into place. I got out the Casenite & fixed it myself. I subsequently offered to do hardening work for him for any lock parts he cared to send me for proper repair, but never heard back from him. Apparently he's "waaay too busy" repairing all the dozens of locks that reenactors return to him.

At the last contact attempt a couple of years ago, his wife apparently isn't doing any customer service for the old fraud anymore, either. I don't foresee him getting any repeat customers because of his poor communications skills and lack of repair knowledge. With the absence of the courtesy of a simple reply on an inquiry, I assumed Middlesex as a business, had gone T-U.

As was already mentioned, Loyalist is everything that Middlesex isn't. I rec'd. a fusil from them & it was missing a lock screw. Quick e-mail to them & by the end of the week, the part arrived in the mail.

Hi guys,
This is a very valuable post!
In the shooting field we are a relatively small group, so the suppliers are also few and far between.
A dishonest vendor as above casts a dark shadow on many others.
People like Track of the Wolf, Muzzle Loader Supply, and other like vendors give good service, but are restricted to supplier delivery.
Thank you for the great post!
Fred

AZbpB:

At least you got your part back. Some on his now locked Facebook page apparently weren't so lucky.

I got a feeling the guy is unable to function and probably hasn't done anything for months other than doctor up his 'To Do' list to make it seem like he is accomplishing something. My bet is he spends his day on his computer insulting anyone who asks the real status of their order, or demands their money back.

I doubt he is a scammer because at least in my case he returned all of my money with only a sarcastic comment.

If I had money tied up with this guy, I would be trying to get it back.

Scipio

I was thumbing through a magazine at the local farms store today and they are still running advertisements for the uninformed. This feed back is very helpful, but also sad.

I don't see any Middlesex Villiage ads in the new MUZZLELOADER or MUZZLE BLASTS magazines.

I do see them pop up in a Google search but that doesn't mean much.

rj morrison said:
http://www.veteranarms.com/ReproductionMuzzleloadersandFlint... check with them in us. no customs problems.
If I remember correctly these are "curry" guns, made in India which is one of the reasons their prices are so "good".
As to their quality, well the internet is full of both praise and condemnation, the metal appears to be highly polished and the wood used for stocks may be of questionable quality.
As I have no personal experience with these firearms maybe someone with hands on knowledge will be able to jump in and give their thoughts on these products.

I wonder if you refer to the Japanese Bess as a "rice" gun, and an Italian made black powder gun as a "pasta piece"?

These have been hashed and re-hashed many times. In summation:

The best possible musket is a custom built one, both for parts quality, wood to metal fit, and authenticity of appearance.

Pedersoli makes a very good (but not excellent) copy of SLP Musket, both in appearance and in function. The model is not without its problems. Same for their French musket. The Japanese Bess was a very close second.

The guns coming out of India have a lot of variation, because contrary to urban myth, they are constructed from parts from different makers.... not a single source. They are over polished, and can have lock function problems, as well as having average wood to metal fit. The wood used for the stocks is fine quality..., it's just not a good choice for a wood to use for a gunstock, especially when compared to walnut or maple. As a group they have shown when reliable in function (and most are) to be visually closer in some cases to the proper musket for some time periods, and they do reliably shoot blanks and live rounds. At less than half the price of the Italian musket. ( FYI folks, CVA has had many more barrel failures than the Indian Bess muskets, and that was with a single model :wink: )

LD

I have been tempted several times to order from MVTC, but have heard similar experiences with belligerent customer service. Life is too short for this.
Always hear good things about Loyalist -- and have actually bought from Charles at Veterans Arms. No complaints at all.

Loyalist Dave said:
I wonder if you refer to the Japanese Bess as a "rice" gun, and an Italian made black powder gun as a "pasta piece"?

These have been hashed and re-hashed many times. In summation:

The best possible musket is a custom built one, both for parts quality, wood to metal fit, and authenticity of appearance.

Pedersoli makes a very good (but not excellent) copy of SLP Musket, both in appearance and in function. The model is not without its problems. Same for their French musket. The Japanese Bess was a very close second.

The guns coming out of India have a lot of variation, because contrary to urban myth, they are constructed from parts from different makers.... not a single source. They are over polished, and can have lock function problems, as well as having average wood to metal fit. The wood used for the stocks is fine quality..., it's just not a good choice for a wood to use for a gunstock, especially when compared to walnut or maple. As a group they have shown when reliable in function (and most are) to be visually closer in some cases to the proper musket for some time periods, and they do reliably shoot blanks and live rounds. At less than half the price of the Italian musket. ( FYI folks, CVA has had many more barrel failures than the Indian Bess muskets, and that was with a single model :wink: )

LD
Just in case you've forgotten I asked about these guns when I first joined and that was the info I was given, if I remember correctly even by you. As for the Curry gun nom de guerre, it was someone on this board that pinned that on the Indian guns. I just thought it was funny so you can get off your high horse on that one with me.

I bought from these people once.
The quality was just about the worse I have ever seen.Not worth the money.
that was the last time in my life I buy anything from them, and I kept the stuff to show other people why they should NEVER buy anything from them.
Wish you luck if you do.

It is sad to hear that this company has gone down hill so badly. I have bought two third model Besses from them in years gone by, the second one, to replace one that was taken in a break in. They both functioned flawlessly, and the customer service was flawless. I had even requested if possible that the second musket be of the same, or near as possible to the same caliber as the first I had bought, because I had bought a custom mold for it, and they searched through their inventory and found one that was a perfect match. Too bad things changed.

I don't know.....ordered my Officers Fucil last March, yup, over a year ago. On the progress chart, I started at well over 150, now at 28 and ready to prep. I suppose the Besses, Fucil de chasse' and other more popular re enactment guns took precedent over mine. I phoned Pete early on and had a very nice chat, months later after asking about cancelling the order, terse e-mails followed explaining a 20% cancellation fee. I decided to wait it out. I fully expect to receive a fully functional musket when it's ready, this is my 2nd purchase. The first horse pistol was very nice and had a great trigger and hardened frizzen. We shall see......Randy aka Blackfingers

sad,I bought a 1717 from them and they threw in a bayonette and scabbard,I was very pleased.I had to have the trigger pull lightened but that was no big deal recieved in only a couple weeks.The I bought a murdoch ,again it didnt seem to take long,and then bought a cookson fowler which also needed trigger work .I would have bought from them again but now I wonder

Latest posts

Back